A presumed US drone strike in south Yemen on Sunday killed five suspected members of Al-Qaeda and three civilians, a security official said.
Earlier, a local official gave a toll of three suspects killed in the strike in the Al-Said area of Shabwa province.
The vehicle targeted was carrying five suspected Al-Qaeda members, all of whom were killed by a missile, the security official said.
Three civilians who went to their aid were killed when a second missile struck, the official said.
Washington has sharply intensified its air war against the jihadists since President Donald Trump took office in January.
The Pentagon said on April 3 that it had carried out more than 70 strikes against jihadist targets in Yemen since February 28.
Before Sunday's attack, two strikes overnight on Tuesday killed five suspected members of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
Washington regards AQAP to be the most dangerous branch of the extremist group.
Last month, US media reports said Trump's administration had given new powers to the CIA to conduct drone strikes against extremist targets in the Middle East.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Tunisians hold largest rally against president’s power grab
Troops kill five Hamas fighters in West Bank
Israeli forces kill 4 Palestinians in West Bank raids
113 Ennahdha members quit amid Tunisia political crisis
UAE announces ministerial changes including finance, environment
Saudis enjoy Red Sea cruises as tourism sector opens up
Houthis rally in north Yemen as their fighters push south
Iran wants N-talks to result in lifting of all sanctions: Raisi
Failed Sudan coup attempt contained, situation under control: officials