Eight killed, 70 hurt in Kashmir poll violence
April 09 2017 09:30 PM
Protesters clash with security forces near a polling station in Srinagar yesterday.

Agencies Srinagar

Ex-CM Farooq Abdullah slams state government for its failure to maintain law and order

Eight civilians were killed in Jammu and Kashmir yesterday when police opened fire at protesters who stormed polling stations during a by-election for a parliamentary seat, a top officer said.
State and paramilitary police fired bullets and shotgun pellets as thousands of protesters shouting slogans against Indian rule charged into voting booths in Budgam district near the main city of Srinagar.
“Violent protests happened at many places in Budgam. Protesters damaged and snatched EVMs (electronic voting machines) at some places,” Shantmanu, the state’s chief electoral officer, said.
“It was not a good day for all of us. Eight civilians were killed and 70 were wounded,” Shantmanu, who uses only one name, told reporters.
Many were grievously injured with bullets fired by police and paramilitary troops, hospital sources in Srinagar said.
The electoral officer said more than 100 government personnel, including police and paramilitary officers were also injured in the clashes.
In the Charare-e-Sharif area of Budgam two people were killed when the paramilitary Border Security Force fired at protesters, he said.
Another person was killed in the Beerwah area of the same district when paramilitary police opened fire at a stone-throwing crowd.
Five more were killed in the day-long clashes, with two of them succumbing to multiple pellet injuries from the shotguns which paramilitary forces use in Kashmir for crowd control.
Polling had to be halted in more than dozen places amid a call by top Kashmiri separatist leaders opposed to Indian rule to boycott the by-election.
Only 6.5% of voters turned out to cast their ballot, Shantmanu said, 26% less than in the last elections held in 2014 and the lowest ever participation recorded in any election in the state.
Former state chief minister Farooq Abdullah, who is contesting the Srinagar seat, slammed the government for its failure to maintain law and order.
“Elections should have been peaceful. This government has failed in giving a peaceful atmosphere for people to come and vote,” he told reporters.
“Have contested six elections over 20 years and have never seen this level of violence in elections in Kashmir,” Abdullah tweeted.
He accused Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti of failing to provide a conducive atmosphere for voting.
“Mehbooba Mufti is responsible for this situation. There is mismanagement,” he said.
The by-election is being held to fill a vacant seat in the Lok Sabha, India’s lower house of parliament.
A second by-election in the state for a separate Lok Sabha seat is set to take place on April 12 in Anantnag.
The results of both polls are expected to be announced on April 15.
Ahead of the polling, authorities suspended Internet services across the Kashmir Valley for fear of widespread protests.
Police had also detained hundreds of young people and separatist activists in the run-up to the poll, sources said.
Around 500,000 soldiers are deployed in the state.
Ahead of yesterday’s polling, the Indian government had sent in 20,000 additional paramilitaries.
Armed encounters between rebels and government forces have become more frequent since the killing of rebel leader Burhan Wani by security forces last July sparked widespread unrest.
Police and army officials say dozens of local youths have joined the rebel ranks since then.
At least 29 armed militants, mostly locals, have died fighting government forces this year.

Last updated: April 09 2017 09:30 PM

There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*