Iran said on Friday it had barred a US wrestling team from participating in the Freestyle World Cup competition in retaliation for an executive order by President Donald Trump banning visas for Iranians, state television reported.
The Freestyle World Cup, one of the sport's most prestigious events, is scheduled for Feb. 16-17 and USA Wrestling has previously said it would send a team to the competition, which will take place in the western Iranian city of Kermanshah.
Tehran has already announced it will stop US citizens entering the country following Washington's decision to ban refugees and citizens of seven majority-Muslim countries including Iran.
"A special committee in Tehran reviewed their cases and decided to oppose the visit by the US freestyle wrestling team," Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi was quoted by state television as saying.
"The visa policy of the new American administration gave us no other option but to ban the wrestlers."
USA Wrestling said on Monday the United States would send a team to Iran, where US freestyle wrestlers have participated in competitions since 1998. It was not immediately available to comment on the matter on Friday.
Trump has adopted an aggressive posture toward Tehran since Iran's ballistic missile test-launch, putting it "on notice". The new US administration is expected to impose fresh sanctions on multiple Iranian entities.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Day flights to resume at Libya capital's airport
Iran and Pakistan to form joint rapid reaction force at border - Rouhani
US warns terrorists continue to plot Sri Lanka attacks
Sudan's military council warns against road blocks as protests continue
Arab League pledges $100 million to Palestinians, rejects Trump's 'deal'
Khamenei appoints new chief for Iran's Revolutionary Guards
WHO: More than 30,000 displaced as fighting in Tripoli rages on
Unity govt forces near Tripoli launch counter-attack
IS group kills more than 60 regime fighters across Syria