Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi reopened the Museum of Islamic Art in Cairo yesterday, three years after a car bombing partially destroyed the building.
The museum, which boasts about 100,000 relics including a sword said to have belonged to the Prophet Muhammad, holds one of the largest Islamic civilisation collections in the world.
The museum in central Cairo had been partially destroyed after a massive car bomb went off outside nearby police headquarters in January 2014, in an attack claimed by Egyptian militants.
The blast damaged 179 relics including glass lanterns from the era of the Mamluks, that directly ruled Egypt from the 13th to the 16th centuries.
Antiquities Minister Khaled el-Enany said 160 relics have been restored, at the reopening ceremony attended by Sisi and aired on television.
Three new exhibit rooms have been built, with the museum now showing 4,400 relics, from more than 1,450 before the bombing, he said.
Several countries have funded the restoration, including the United Arab Emirates which contributed about $8mn, and the United Nations cultural organisation Unesco.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Kuwaiti ports suspends entry of Iranian ships to Kuwait due to coronavirus
Seven dead in Turkey after earthquake hits Iran border area
Erdogan announces Syria summit for March 5
Erdogan to hold Syria summit with Russia, France and Germany
Iran shuts schools, cultural centres as coronavirus kills five
Syrian bomb kills 16th Turkish troop in Idlib this month
Iran votes for parliament
Iraqi PM-designate seeks vote of confidence for cabinet
‘Horror has multiplied’ for civilians in Syria: UN