Forty-eight Yemeni soldiers were killed in a suicide bombing claimed by the Islamic State group in the southern port city of Aden, officials said Sunday in an updated casualty toll.
"We have 48 dead and 29 wounded," all soldiers, Abdel Nasser al-Wali, health department chief for Aden, told AFP, revising an earlier toll of 35 dead.
The bomber detonated his explosives belt as hundreds of troops had gathered to collect their monthly pay at a barracks in Al-Sawlaban near Aden's international airport.
IS claimed responsibility.
"A martyr from the Islamic State denotated his explosives belt in Al-Sawlaban military camp in Aden during a gathering of the Yemeni army," the IS-affiliated Amaq news outlet said.
Yemeni authorities have for months pressed a campaign against jihadists who remain active in the south and east of the war-torn country.
IS and its jihadist rival Al-Qaeda have taken advantage of a conflict between the government and the Houthi rebels, who control the capital Sanaa, to bolster their presence across much of the south.
The two groups have carried out a spate of attacks in Aden, Yemen's second city and headquarters of the internationally recognised government whose forces retook the port from the Houthis last year.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Supreme leader dismisses talks as Iran looks to post-Trump future
Hamas targets struck in Gaza after rocket fire
More than 60 prisoners escape Lebanese jail, say security sources
Yemen in 'imminent danger' of world's worst famine in decades: UN
Lebanon hires firm to clear dangerous material from shattered Beirut port
Yemen aid workers fear possible US blacklisting of Houthis
Virus cases surge in Iran, Jordan, Morocco: WHO
Palestinians condemn Pompeo's West Bank settlement visit
UK condemns Israel's settlement move in occupied West Bank