Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has lost his appeal against a six-year ban for ethics violations, imposed amid the biggest corruption scandal to shake the world soccer body, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said on Monday.
Blatter led FIFA for 17 years, resigning in June last year after several dozen football officials, including former FIFA executive committee members, and entities were indicted in the United States on graft charges.
Blatter, 80, was not among those indicted but himself became embroiled in scandal when he was banned from all football-related activity the following December by FIFA's ethics committee, along with Michel Platini, then the president of the European soccer body UEFA.
The men were banned over a payment of 2mn Swiss francs ($1.98mn) that FIFA made to Platini in 2011, with Blatter's approval, for work done a decade earlier.
CAS said in a statement that its panel had determined that Blatter "breached the FIFA code of ethics since the payment amounted to an undue gift as it had no contractual basis".
"The panel further found that Mr Blatter unlawfully awarded contributions to Mr Platini under the FIFA Executive Committee retirement scheme which also amounted to an undue gift."
Blatter and Platini have denied wrongdoing.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Seventh title ‘would mean more’ for Hamilton
Qatar Racing Limited’s Know It All wins Group 3 in Ireland
Verstappen targets title as season finally starts in Austria
England to wear ‘Black Lives Matter’ logo for WI series
‘India at the forefront of a fast bowling renaissance’
Lillard worried NBA players won’t follow ‘bubble’ rules
Can ‘dead period’ still shape Ravens’ NFL season ahead?
Lakers sign Smith ahead of season restart
Up to 20,000 fans to attend French Open each day