Representatives of around 40 countries on Saturday approved plans to establish a fund to protect heritage sites in war zones and a network of safe havens for endangered artworks.
‘We are committed to pursuing (these) two ambitious, long-term goals to guarantee the further mobilisation of the international community for the safeguarding of heritage,’ a statement issued after a two-day meeting in the United Arab Emirates capital said.
The meeting's Emirati and French co-sponsors had set a $100 million target for the fund but the statement did not specify how much had been pledged.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Iran warns of response to any strike
Dozens of children die in Liberia school fire
Iran leader rules out talks with US ‘at any level’
Saudi oil output to be restored to normal by September-end
France to press to drop Sudan from blacklist
Iran says diplomacy only solution to Syria crisis
Counting begins in Tunisia’s presidential election
White House says Trump may meet Iran president
Saudi races to restore oil supply after drone strikes