Saudi authorities said Sunday they had foiled a plot to bomb a football stadium during a World Cup qualifying match and dismantled two "terrorist" cells linked to the Islamic State group.
The interior ministry said in a statement that four suspects from each cell had been arrested.
One of the cells had planned to park a bomb-laden vehicle outside Al-Jawhara stadium in the Red Sea city of Jeddah during an October 11 World Cup 2018 qualifying football match between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the ministry said.
Its members were two Pakistanis, a Syrian, and a Sudanese, the ministry said, without providing further details of the plot or arrests.
The other group had been plotting attacks against security forces and its members had received orders from an IS leader in Syria, the ministry said.
Its alleged members were based in Shaqra, northwest of Riyadh, and are all Saudis, the ministry statement said, adding that the suspects had all confessed.
Six other Saudis were detained and were being questioned over alleged links to the cell, it added.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Pakistan PM in Tehran on mission to ‘facilitate’ talks
Academic Kais Saied wins Tunisia polls
Turkey neutralizes 459 militants in Operation Peace Spring
Khamenei says any aggressor would regret attacking Iran
4.6 magnitude earthquake causes material damages in two provinces west Iran
Tunisians pick new president in final round of voting
Iran decries ‘cowardly attack’ on oil tanker
Facing pressure, Baghdad ups probes into protest bloodshed
Turkey: 415 militants neutralised in northern Syrian operation