Clashes and artillery fire hit Aleppo as truce expires
October 23 2016 12:36 AM
A child holds a placard during a demonstration urging the British government to intervene in the bombing of Aleppo, outside Downing Street, London, yesterday.


Heavy clashes between regime and rebel forces erupted in several areas of Syria’s divided city of Aleppo late yesterday after a unilateral ceasefire announced by government ally Russia expired.
Moscow had extended the unilateral “humanitarian pause” into a third day until 1600 GMT yesterday, but announced no further renewal of the truce despite a UN request for longer to evacuate wounded civilians.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported fierce fighting in several areas along the front line dividing the city, as well as exchanges of artillery fire.
An AFP correspondent in rebel-held eastern districts also reported sounds of fighting and artillery fire.
Neither residents nor rebels in the opposition-held part of the city heeded calls from Syria’s army and Moscow to leave during the ceasefire, after weeks of devastating bombardment and a three-month government siege.
The pause began on Thursday, and came after Moscow announced a temporary halt to the Syrian army’s campaign to recapture the divided city.
The army opened eight corridors for evacuations, but just a handful of people crossed through a single passage, with the others remaining deserted.
“Members of popular civil committees from regime districts entered the eastern neighbourhoods to try to evacuate the injured but failed,” Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said yesterday.
Syrian state media and Russian authorities have accused rebels in the east of preventing civilians from leaving and using them as “human shields”.
More than 2,000 civilians have been wounded since the army launched its offensive to drive the rebels out of the eastern districts they have held since 2012.
Nearly 500 people have been killed.
The United Nations had hoped to use the ceasefire to evacuate seriously wounded people, and possibly deliver aid.
But a UN official said yesterday the requisite security guarantees had not been received.
“You have various parties to the conflict and those with influence and they all have to be on the same page on this and they are not,” said David Swanson, a spokesman for the UN humanitarian office.
The UN had drawn up a four-day plan that would start with two days of medical evacuations to west Aleppo, rebel-held Idlib province, and Turkey, and continue with more evacuations as well as aid deliveries.
No aid has entered Aleppo since July 7 and food rations will run out by the end of the month, UN chief Ban Ki-moon warned on Thursday.
The UN had asked Moscow to consider extending the pause until Monday evening, but there was no word of any extension as the 1600 GMT deadline passed.
Russia is a key ally of Syria’s government and began a military intervention in support of President Bashar al-Assad last September.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in an interview aired yesterday evening that the intervention was meant to “liberate” Syria and keep Assad in power.
“Either Assad is in Damascus, or Al Nusra is,” he said, referring to former Al Qaeda affiliate the Fateh al-Sham Front. “There is no third option here.”
The Observatory said both rebels and regime forces appeared to be reinforcing their positions in preparation for renewed fighting if the truce ended.
“The regime and the rebels are both bolstering their forces, which raises fears of a massive military operation if the ceasefire fails,” Abdel Rahman said.
Elsewhere in Aleppo, Turkish forces and allied Syrian rebels were carrying out heavy shelling of the Kurdish-Arab Syrian Democratic Forces in several villages.
Turkey considers the Kurdish militia that leads the SDF to be a “terrorist” organisation.
On Friday, the UN human rights council called in a resolution for “a comprehensive, independent special inquiry into the events in Aleppo”.

There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*