Kashmir shut for 71st day as toll touches 89
September 17 2016 11:22 PM
Mourners shout slogans near the body of Nasir Shafi, during his funeral in Srinagar yesterday. Shafi was critically injured in pellet gun firing by security forces during a protest and later died of his injuries, sparking protests and renewed clashes in Srinagar.

IANS Srinagar

Kashmir Valley remained shut for the 71st consecutive day yesterday amid sporadic clashes at several places, police said.
An 11-year-old-boy identified as Nasir Shafi, who was injured in the clashes between security forces and protesters in Harwan area of Srinagar district died on Friday night, taking the toll to 89.
Shafi was buried amid protests yesterday. Clashes broke out after the burial following which over 10 protesters and policemen were injured.
No one, however, sustained any serious injury, police said.
A sub-inspector of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) was injured when a mob threw stones on the Srinagar-Leh highway at Wussan, 32km from the state’s summer capital.
The ITBP personnel dispersed the protesters and during the clashes, one person sustained a gunshot wound in his arm.
Clashes also erupted in south Kashmir’s Anantnag town where police used tear smoke shells and pellets to disperse the protesters. Among the injured was a deputy superintendent of police (DSP) officer.
At least 10 civilians and security forces were injured in these clashes.
So far, 89 people, including 86 civilians and three policemen have died in the ongoing cycle of violence that started on July 9 after Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani was gunned down by the security forces on July 8.
Separatists have issued a fresh protest calendar, which is harsher than the previous one as there are no periods of relaxation.
The separatists have said no pedestrian or vehicular movement should take place in the valley in the next seven days except in cases of emergency.
All education institutions, the main market and public transport have remained shut in the valley for the last 71 days.
Train services between the valley and Banihal town in Jammu region have remained suspended during this period.
Meanwhile, India and Pakistan continued to trade diplomatic barbs over Kashmir at the UN Human Rights Council, with Islamabad raising the issue of “unceasing oppression” even as New Delhi hit back, saying “Pakistan-occupied Kashmir is administered by a “deep state” and also raked up alleged human rights violations in Balochistan.

There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*