More than 30 tourists who spent a dramatic night stranded in cable cars above the French Alps were brought to the ground on Friday after an 18-hour ordeal, operators said.
They were the last of 110 sightseers trapped when the cable cars ground to a halt on Thursday afternoon in the shadow of Mont Blanc, western Europe's loftiest peak.
After a night in the frozen dark, dangling at an altitude of 3,800 metres, the string of cars lurched into movement at around 8 am.
The incident was caused by cables that got crossed for "unknown reasons", but a gust of wind is thought to have played a part, said Mathieu Dechavanne, boss of the Mont-Blanc Company which manages the system.
The cars were restarted after the last cable was untangled, he told AFP.
The 33 remaining passengers were able to reach the ground by exiting the cars at three points on the way down, an official said.
Teams on Thursday had been able to rescue 77 passengers, most of them by helicopters and others who were able to climb down with help.
But as darkness fell and the weather deteriorated, the operation was suspended, leaving the remaining tourists, one of them a 12-year-old boy, to spend the night suspended in mid-air.
The boy's sister, Italian tourist Maria Elena Perrone, 18, was rescued on Thursday but then had an agonising wait for news of her brother and parents who were in a different cable car.
"It was terrible. My brother had to stay up there with my parents and they were only wearing sweatshirts. When the Sun set, it was cold," she told AFP, sobbing.
"For two and a half hours we didn't know what had happened and the cable car was moving a lot when they were trying to untangle the cables."
'Last hour was very long'
An elderly man was treated for hypothermia but all the passengers trapped overnight in the small, four-person pods were in good condition despite their ordeal, police said.
"We were in contact with them throughout the night, the people were cold" but there did not appear to be any health emergencies, the local police chief, Stephane Bozon, told AFP.
"The last hour seemed very, very long. We called the operators who explained that three cables got snarled up and they had to be untangled but they didn't manage to do it," a man who was one of the first tourists to be rescued told French radio, without giving his name.
The top official in the Haute-Savoie region, Georges-François Leclerc, said rescuers had been forced to halt their operation at 8:45 pm on Thursday as they could not "guarantee the safety of the pilots, rescuers and the people stuck in the cars".
During the night, a team of rescuers, three French and two Italian police officers also attempted to reach the trapped tourists.
One of the officers managed to get into the car where the 12-year-old boy was.
The trapped passengers had access to emergency blankets, energy bars and bottles of water, which are stocked aboard the cars.
The five-kilometre-long system, which went into operation in 1950, connects Aiguille du Midi on the French side of the mountains with Pointe Helbronner on the Italian border, offering panoramic views of Mont Blanc.
On the most eye-catching part of the trip, the cars are a dizzying 400 metres above ground.
In 2011, around 40 people were stuck for nearly seven hours on the Grande-Motte cable car in the southeastern French Alps after it broke down.
They were evacuated through trap doors in the cars, using ropes to reach the ground 40 metres below.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Moldova's fledgling government brought down by no confidence vote
Spain’s repeat election fails to break deadlock
‘Abandoned’ flood-hit villagers slam council
EU renews Venezuela sanctions for a year
China's Xi holds talks in Greece en route to BRICS summit
Tories warn of economic crisis under Labour
Spaniards go to polls to end political stalemate
Queen leads tributes to nation’s war dead
Shock in Russia as Napoleon expert confesses to chopping up lover