Israeli air force hit Syrian government forces after mortar fire from its war-wracked neighbour struck the Israeli-held zone of the Golan Heights on Sunday, the military said.
It said in a statement that "mortar fire" from Syria hit an open area without causing any apparent injuries, but it did not specify how many shells fell.
Unlike a similar incident on August 22 the Israelis did not immediately characterise the incident as stray fire.
"In response to mortar fire earlier today, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) targeted cannons of the Syrian regime in the northern Syrian Golan Heights," the English-language statement said.
A spokeswoman told AFP that the Israeli fire came in an air strike.
"The Syrian government must be held accountable for this breach of Israeli sovereignty," military spokesman Peter Lerner wrote on his official Twitter account.
"The IDF will continue to act to safeguard Israel."
In the August 22 exchange, the Israeli air force hit what it said was a Syrian army rocket launcher in response to "stray fire from Syrian conflict".
There were similar events in July and previously.
Israel has sought to avoid being drawn into Syria's complex war which is now in its sixth year, but it has attacked Syrian military targets when fire from the conflict spills over.
Israel seized 1,200 square kilometres (460 square miles) of the Golan Heights from Syria in the Six-Day War of 1967 and later annexed it in a move never recognised by the international community.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Lebanon president rejects global probe into port blast
Ivory Coast opposition claims third term for Ouattara would destabilise country
Rescuers scour Beirut blast zone as families await missing
Troop firing kills Palestinian woman amid West Bank clash
UN condemns air strikes in Yemen that reportedly killed children
US says sending immediate $15mn in food, medicine to Lebanon
Palestinian woman shot dead by Israeli troops
Lebanon’s leaders face reform calls after blast
16 held over Beirut blast, Macron calls for international probe