The Philippines is willing to share natural resources with Beijing in contested South China Sea areas even if it wins a legal challenge next week, Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay said yesterday.
Yasay said President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration hoped to quickly begin direct talks with China following Tuesday’s verdict, with the negotiations to cover jointly exploiting natural gas reserves and fishing grounds within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone.
“We can even have the objective of seeing how we can jointly explore this territory: how we can utilise and benefit mutually from the utilisation of the resources in this exclusive economic zone where claims are overlapping,” Yasay said in an interview.
The Philippines, under Benigno Aquino’s previous administration, filed in 2013 a legal challenge with a UN-backed tribunal in The Hague contesting China’s claims to nearly all of the strategically vital sea.
China’s claims reach almost to the coasts of the Philippines and some other Southeast Asian nations, and it has in recent years built giant artificial islands in the disputed areas to enforce what it says are its indisputable sovereign rights.
The Philippines’ case enraged China, which repeatedly vowed to ignore the tribunal’s ruling and is currently holding military drills in the northern part of the sea as a show of force.
China continued to steam yesterday, with foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei describing the case as “a violation of international rule of order under the cloak of championing it”, and state-run media warning Beijing would not take a “single step back” in the dispute.
China has been further infuriated by the United States beefing up its military presence in the waters, with the US Navy Times newspaper reporting that three American destroyers had been sent into the hotspot areas ahead of Tuesday’s verdict.
Duterte, who took office on June 30, has adopted a more conciliatory approach to China than Aquino.
The previous president refused to hold direct talks, and likened China’s expansionist efforts in the sea to Nazi Germany’s march on parts of Europe ahead of World War II.
Yasay signalled yesterday that Duterte would be making no such analogies, emphasising his administration would seek to ensure the best possible relations with China.
“The statements we will be making will be in the pursuit of strengthening our relationship with everybody and will be for the purpose of making sure there will be no stumbling block to our negotiating a peaceful solution to the issue,” Yasay said.
Yasay said after the ruling is released, the Philippines would study it closely, discuss it with allies, and then seek to launch talks with China “as soon as possible”.
Under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, a country’s exclusive economic zone falls within 200 nautical miles of its coast.
A nation has sovereign rights to exploit natural resources in that zone. Yasay said the Philippines was open to sharing Scarborough Shoal, a rich fishing ground within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone that China took control of in 2012 and has banned Filipino boats from entering.“The resources there are God-given for all and for everyone to enjoy. We can work at joint benefit in so far as using the marine resources in the area,” Yasay said.
Yasay said the Philippines would also consider jointly exploring a natural gas field at Reed Bank, which is similarly within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone and far from China’s nearest major landmass.
“I think it would be in the pursuit of our national interest to do that and that will be a big step forward if everyone can agree on proceeding on that basis,” Yasay said when asked about jointly developing Reed Bank.Yasay insisted the Philippines would not concede any of its rights in the sea.
But he said the dispute over sovereignty would not be solved for many years, describing it as a “generational issue”, and that rival claimants must in the meantime work co-operatively.
Duterte and Yasay met with China’s ambassador to the Philippines, Zhao Jianhua, on Thursday. Zhao was seen again at the Department of Foreign Affairs yesterday.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Duterte says nation can’t afford total reopening of economy
Interior secretary blames virus rise on citizens’ protocol violations
Govt lifts ban on non-essential travel despite rising caseload
Vietnam jails Facebook user for pro-democracy posts
Govt raises alarm over infection spike after lockdown easing
Duterte’s anti-terror law challenged in top court
Bali eyes return of tourists in Sept
Bali holds mass prayers for reopening from lockdown
Fans gather for final showings at Thailand’s theatre