A court in northern China on Sunday sentenced a man to death for starting a bus fire in January that killed 18 people, the government said.
Flames engulfed the bus in front of a furniture store in the northern region of Ningxia, state media has previously reported. Thirty-three people were injured.
The court in regional capital Yinchuan sentenced Ma Yongping to death after finding him guilty of using an ‘extremely cruel form of crime’, the Yinchuan government said on its official microblog.
Ma set alight two plastic bags filled with gasoline on the bus after getting involved in a personal work dispute, the government said, without explaining the connection between the bus he chose to set alight and the dispute.
Ma will appeal, the statement added.
It was not possible to reach a lawyer for him for comment.
Bus fires are not uncommon in China, where regulators have blamed some recent blazes on flawed auto design. In 2013, a bus fire blamed on a suicidal man killed 47 in the coastal city of Xiamen.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
At least 23 killed in Russian missile strike in Ukraine
FAA says Boeing has not completed work needed for 737 MAX 7 approval
Hurricane Ian makes landfall along Florida Gulf Coast
Florida scrambles to prepare as Hurricane Ian churns toward coast
US warns Russia of ‘catastrophic consequences’ if it uses N-weapons
CIA’s in-house museum adds new spy exhibits
Pharoah Sanders, cosmic jazz saxophonist, dead at 81
NASA scraps Tuesday Moon launch due to storm
Covid raises risk of long-term brain injury, large US study finds