Yemen foes resume face-to-face peace talks
May 05 2016 12:04 AM
YEMEN
Smoke and fire billow during a controlled explosion by a Yemeni army demining team to destroy explosives and landmines laid by militants, near the southern port city of Aden yesterday.

AFP/Kuwait City

Yemen’s warring parties resumed face-to-face peace talks yesterday after a three-day break triggered by a walkout by the government delegation, the UN said.
It is only the second round of face-to-face talks in the hard-won negotiations to end a devastating conflict that has killed more than 6,400 people and displaced 2.8mn since March last year.
“The plenary session has started. All are present including the government delegation,” the UN envoy’s spokesman, Charbel Raji, said.  The negotiations, which began on April 21, broke off on Sunday after the government delegation quit in protest at the apparent surrender of one of the few loyalist bases in the northern mountains to Iran-backed rebels.
UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said the two sides had agreed that a monitoring committee supervising an April 11 ceasefire would launch a fact-finding mission into the rebels’ takeover of the Al-Amaliqa base in Amran province, one of their strongholds.
The committee will submit a report within 72 hours with practical recommendations that all sides pledge to carry out, Ould Cheikh Ahmed said.
Foreign Minister Abdulmalek al-Mikhlafi, who heads the government delegation, has demanded a rebel pullout.
The UN stressed the need to strengthen ceasefire monitoring committees on the ground, particularly in and around battleground third city Taiz, where loyalist troops have been under siege for months, trapping tens of thousands of civilians.
Human Rights Watch urged the warring parties to “support international investigations, transitional justice and victim compensation as key elements of any agreement”.
“The armed conflict in Yemen has been characterised by numerous violations of the laws of war by all sides, which have not been investigated nor have resulted in any redress for victims of unlawful attacks,” the New York-based watchdog said.




There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore