More than 300 people, including nine journalists, were estimated to be in custody in Egypt yesterday after security forces foiled attempted demonstrations the previous day, according to information from rights groups and the country’s journalists’ union.
Amnesty International condemned the crackdown on the planned protests against the handover of two strategic islands to Saudi Arabia, saying that authorities “appear to have orchestrated a heavy-handed and ruthlessly efficient campaign to squash this protest before it even began.”
Large numbers of heavily armed security forces had blocked off protest sites from early on Monday, letting only flag-waving supporters of President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi through their cordons.
Two small demonstrations in western Cairo were quickly dispersed by security forces using teargas, according to local media reports.
The crackdown came after al-Sisi, the police and army all issued warnings against attempts to disturb security or break the country’s laws, which effectively ban protests without prior police permission.
Dozens of people were also arrested ahead of the planned protests, with some being charged with incitement offences under a harsh new terrorism law, according to rights groups.
Authorities appeared to have been roiled by protests on the issue earlier in the month, which although limited in scale were among the largest non-Islamist demonstrations since al-Sisi took office in 2014.
The government sparked widespread anger when it quietly announced the planned handover of the islands of Tiran and Sanafir during a recent visit to Cairo by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman of Saudi Arabia.
Lawyer Ragio Omran, of the Front to Defend Egypt’s Protesters, said that the number in detention in Cairo alone was probably about 300, but the picture was not entirely clear yet.
The Egyptian Centre for Economic and Social Rights, an NGO, said 22 people had been arrested in the northern city of Alexandria.
State newspaper Al-Ahram, quoting an unnamed security official, said that 285 people had been arrested in the capital. Once they were examined they would be released or sent to prosecutors, the official said.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Iran reports 141 new virus deaths, raising total to 2,898
Coronavirus cases in Palestine rise to 117
Europe sends medical gear to Iran in first sanction-bypass deal
Air strikes hit Houthi-held Yemeni capital Sanaa
Palestinian groups cancel mass Gaza rallies over pandemic fears
Kuwait reveals 10 new virus cases
Jordan registers its first death from coronavirus
Iran coronavirus death toll tops 2,500: ministry
Turkey charges 20 Saudis over Khashoggi murder