Brussels airport will not reopen before Tuesday as it implements new security measures and repairs the departure hall wrecked by a suicide bomb attack earlier this week, it said Saturday.
"Passenger flights at Brussels Airport will not resume before Tuesday 29 March," Zaventem airport said in a statement.
"Brussels Airport is starting preparations to partially resume passenger flights and to implement the new security measures at Belgian airports, decided by the federal government," it added.
It gave no details of what the new security measures involve but immediately after Tuesday's attacks, there was a lot of criticism that security at the airport was light, with no systematic checks on passengers entering the departure hall.
On Tuesday, two suicide bombers blew themselves up there while another attacked the Brussels metro, leaving 31 dead and more than 300 wounded in Belgium's worst ever terror attack.
The Easter weekend is normally one of the busiest of the year, with thousands of holidaymakers jetting off from Brussels to destinations worldwide.
Following the attacks, airlines moved operations to regional airports or even to neighbouring countries such as the Netherlands and Germany.
Low-cost pioneer Ryanair moved its Brussels flights to its main base at Charleroi, about an hour's drive south of the Belgian capital.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Cabin crew strike hits air travellers across Germany
Govt stands firm on Brexit date despite delay request
Visitor numbers buoyant as Frankfurt Book Fair winds down
One dead, one seriously hurt in French e-scooter collision
EU's incoming economy chief calls for less restrictive budget policies
Thousands evacuated in Italy's South Tyrol for WWII-era bomb disposal
Spanish PM under pressure over Catalan protests
Brexit will happen on Oct. 31 despite PM's unsigned delay request, UK says
Catalan leaders demand talks with Madrid as thousands protest again