The Syrian opposition has agreed to attend a new round of UN-sponsored peace talks set for this week in Geneva, a spokesman told AFP on Monday.
"After consultations, the High Negotiations Committee agreed to go to Geneva. The delegation is expected to arrive on Friday," said Riad Naasan Agha, a spokesman for the main opposition body.
The opposition had been reluctant to attend the indirect peace negotiations, citing violations by government forces of a ceasefire in place since February 27.
"We have noticed a sharp decline in ceasefire violations in recent days and progress in the humanitarian file," particularly with regards to aid deliveries to besieged towns, Agha said.
"We find that the international community is insisting that all the sides, especially Russia and the regime, must respect the truce," he added.
The announcement comes a day after regions of Syria covered by the ceasefire enjoyed the "calmest day" since the truce started, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
30 inmates escape from Lebanon jail
Islamic Jihad agrees Gaza truce with Israel to end conflict
Qatar strongly condemns settlers storming Al-Aqsa Mosque
Air strikes, rocket attacks pound Gaza in second day of fighting
Reactions to Israel-Gaza showdown
‘Enough!’: Exhausted Gazans again under fire
Tens of thousands gather in show of force by Iraq’s Sadr
Deadly Israel air strikes on Gaza kill over 15 Palestinians
Parliament sit-in will continue until demands met, says Sadr