Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan yesterday said it was “providential” he left the venue of the Make in India cultural event here just before a huge fire broke out.
He thanked fans for sending prayers and to those who checked on his well-being soon after the incident.
The fire destroyed the stage at the cultural event on Sunday.
After Bachchan performed on the stage and walked off to get into his car to leave, the event’s production team wanted him to come back and meet Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
Describing the scene, Bachchan posted on his blog: “I ask to be excused. It would be a breach of protocol, from my side... I would meet up with him later... and leave... An sms comes to me soon after... ‘Are you safe?’
“I am puzzled, I respond with a yes but why and then come to know of the fire that had immediately after my departure from the stage burst in and has engulfed the entire surrounding... The stage is gutted, it was massive in size, and anxious calls begin to come in, from all those that were seeing the programme on TV live.”
The 73-year-old said “it is providential”.
“Thank you all that have inquired from me of my well being and for all the prayers,” he posted.
Another star Aamir Khan who was also one of the attendees of the cultural extravaganza said the fire was most unfortunate and is glad the crisis was handled well.
“The fire during the live show at Chowpatty was most unfortunate but the crisis was very well handled by the Mumbai police, fire department and the Maharashtra government. The evacuation was carried out smoothly resulting in no casualties and no panic. The CM stayed till the end to oversee the evacuation. Excellent disaster management,” Khan posted on Facebook.
The fire broke out during a performance of Maharashtra’s Lavani folk dance at the mega event at Girgaum Chowpatty beach.
It was brought under control in an hour.
Meanwhile, Wizcraft, the organisers of the event, claimed they had carried out a complete fire audit, including all safety checks of the main stage of cultural extravaganza.
Fadnavis termed the incident as “unfortunate” and said a comprehensive probe will be ordered and those responsible would face action.
At least 14 fire tenders and 10 water tankers were rushed to the site. The stage was completely burnt down and the show was stopped midway.
Authorities said the fire could have been caused by an electric short circuit.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Proud of Nobel laureate’s accomplishments: Modi
300,000 bank workers strike against mergers
No money to pay salaries, transport firm tells court
Exit polls show huge win for BJP in key elections
Apple starts selling locally assembled iPhone XR in India
Nine killed in fresh firing across Kashmir border
Protesters held as shutdown hits transport services in Telangana
Top court to hear plea for insuring bank customers
Three militants, two civilians killed as violence spreads in Kashmir