The national capital was on maximum security alert yesterday, a day after 14 men were detained in various cities in an anti-terrorism crackdown, home ministry sources said. 
Delhi will remain on high alert until Republic Day celebrations on Tuesday at which French President Francois Hollande will be chief guest. 
Every vehicle entering the city was being checked, Delhi police spokesman Rajen Bhagat said. 
Checks had also been increased at the airport, railway stations and bus stands. 
In Jammu and Kashmir too, intelligence agencies and security forces were reviewing arrangements for the Republic Day functions.
“Security review meetings are being held on a daily basis this time to take a relook on everything concerned with providing security to Republic Day functions in the state,” said a senior intelligence officer.
“In the aftermath of the Pathankot terror attack, the focus is on important security installations across the state...,” the officer said.
The main Republic Day parade and flag hoisting takes place in the Maulana Azad Stadium in Jammu where Governor N N Vohra will take salute.
More than 1,000 security men have been deployed to secure the venue. After the final rehearsal of the parade yesterday, its overall security was handed over to the army.
In 1995, series of explosions took place inside the stadium when the then governor general K V Krishna Rao was delivering the Republic Day speech. Twelve people were killed and 60 injured.
The 14 men who were picked up from six cities on Friday were suspected of being part of an Islamist militant outfit’s plans to attack vital installations, the Indian Express newspaper reported citing sources in intelligence agencies. 
The men were allegedly radicalised online and were influenced by Islamic State, the report said. Some of the men had been under surveillance for six months. The men were picked up from several cities including Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru and Lucknow in raids carried out by the National Investigation Agency and police. 
A Bengaluru court yesterday remanded six of them to four-day’s NIA custody. Of the six suspects, five were produced amid tight security before the NIA-designated court after they were medically examined.
“The court has granted four-day remand to interrogate them on charges filed against them,” an NIA lawyer told reporters later. The arrests followed raids by NIA teams on rented houses and hideouts of the suspects.
Huge quantities of arms and ammunition were recovered from the rented house of two suspects.
“The raids and arrests are part of the nationwide security steps being taken to prevent any incident and avoid panic in the public,” Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara told reporters on Friday.