A French gendarme enforcing the Vigipirate plan, France's national security alert system, patrols a railway station in Paris. France revealed on Thursday it will spend an extra €600mn next year to ramp up security after the Paris attacks.
Three people were killed in a police raid early Wednesday targeting the suspected mastermind of the Paris attacks, the prosecutors office said on Friday.
Police have already identified the mangled body of the supposed mastermind, Abdelhamid Abaaoud. The identification of the other two bodies, which included a woman, was still under way, prosecutors said in a statement. Officials have said from the start that there may have been a third person killed.
A handbag was found in the debris containing a passport in the name of Hasna Ait Boulahcen. A source said previously that a woman with that name may have blown herself up during the raid and may be a cousin of Abaaoud.
Abaaoud was caught on camera at a Metro train station in the capital on the night of the carnage, a police source said on Friday.
CCTV showed Abaaoud, who was killed in a police raid on an apartment on Wednesday, at a station near where police found a Seat car that was used in the coordinated wave of attacks last Friday that killed 129 people.
The black Seat found in Montreuil was one of three cars discovered after the massacres and investigators believe one of three "commando" teams of attackers used it to attack several bars and restaurants.
Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said this week that the three cars, including a Polo and a Clio, arrived in convoy from Belgium on the eve of the attacks.
The cars were all rented by the brothers Brahim and Salah Abdeslam, who lived in Belgium. Brahim blew himself up outside a bar in the bustling Boulevard Voltaire, while police are still hunting his sibling.
The brothers were believed to be part of the team in the Seat that sprayed gunfire on restaurant terraces, but it is not clear whether a third person spotted with them was Abaaoud.
The Polo was found in front of the Bataclan concert venue where the worst massacre took place, leaving 89 dead.
Dutch police hold three but no link to Paris attacks: report
Rotterdam police have arrested three men after finding a suspicious car with a Belgian licence plate, but ruled out a link to the hunt for a fugitive in the Paris attacks, Dutch media said on Friday.
The men were held after behaving suspiciously near a parked white Mercedes in the port city late on Thursday, the Dutch news agency ANP said, adding that they were still in custody.
But the Dutch justice ministry quickly ruled out any link to the European hunt for a key suspect in last week's Paris attacks, Salah Abdeslam, who remains on the run.
There was "no extensive search" for Abdeslam under way in the Netherlands, the ministry was quoted saying by ANP.Last updated:
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
UK premier back in crisis mode after foreign tour
Missile attack kills 21 near Ukraine’s Odesa
Russia kills 21 with missiles near Odesa after abandoning Snake Island
Erdogan warns Turkey may still block Nordic Nato drive
US to boost military presence in Europe
Finland, Sweden eye Nato nod as Turkey drops veto
Dozens missing after Russian missile strike on mall kills 18
French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
Missile strikes on crowded mall in Ukraine kill 13