Bashir waves to his supporters at the airport in Khartoum yesterday on his return from Johannesburg.
Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir flew out of South Africa yesterday, defying a court order for him to stay as judges weighed up whether he should be arrested for alleged war crimes and genocide.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) said it was “disappointed” at South Africa’s failure to heed its calls to detain Bashir on long-standing arrest warrants over the Darfur conflict.
As his plane took off on the final day of an African Union leaders’ summit in Johannesburg, the local high court was still hearing arguments over an urgent application to force the authorities to detain him.
“Our position has always been that South Africa’s obligation is clear and unequivocal. It had an obligation to arrest him,” the ICC’s chief deputy prosecutor James Stewart said.
After Bashir had departed, South African judge Dunstan Mlambo also issued a harsh rebuke of the government for ignoring Sunday’s court order, requiring the authorities to keep him grounded.
“The conduct of the respondents - to the extent that they have failed to take steps to arrest and detain (Bashir) - is inconsistent with the constitution of the Republic of South Africa,” Mlambo said.
Bashir’s hurried departure from Waterkloof military airport outside Pretoria sparked anger from rights groups.
“When he took off from South Africa today, he took with him the hopes of thousands of victims of grave crimes in Darfur who wish at last to see justice done,” Human Rights Watch said in a statement.
“By allowing this shameful flight, the South African government has disregarded not only its international legal obligations, but its own courts.”
South Africa is a signatory of the ICC, which has often been criticised for only targeting African leaders.
Dressed in his traditional white robes, Bashir waved his cane in the air as he stepped off the plane in Khartoum.
He then drove around outside the airport in an open-topped car amid a crowd of around 1,000 supporters.
Bashir’s “participation (at the summit) confirms the president is one of Africa’s leaders”, Sudan’s Foreign Minister Ibrahim Ghandour told a news conference.
Sudanese officials in Johannesburg earlier shrugged off the court case and said the South African government had given them assurances about Bashir’s trip.
At the summit, Bashir had posed for a group photograph on Sunday along with South African President Jacob Zuma and Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe, who is the chair of the 54-member group.
Mugabe has previously urged all African leaders to pull out of the ICC.
The ICC indictments relate to the western Sudanese region of Darfur, which erupted into conflict in 2003 when black insurgents rose up against Bashir’s Arab-dominated government, complaining of marginalisation.
Khartoum unleashed a bloody counter-insurgency using the armed forces and allied militia.
The United Nations says 300,000 people have been killed in the conflict and another 2.5mn forced to flee their homes.
Khartoum, however, disputes the figures, estimating the death toll at no more than 10,000.
The government said it would “enquire (into) the circumstances under which President Al Bashir left the country” despite the court order, which was obtained by the Southern African Litigation Centre, a legal rights group.
“It’s an embarrassment for South Africa,” Jakkie Cilliers, of the Institute for Security Studies think tank, said.
“South Africa has created a difficult situation for itself. My feeling is that by allowing him in they wanted to demonstrate to the world a common position of Africa on the ICC.”
The ICC had called on South Africa “to spare no effort in ensuring the execution of the arrest warrants” against Bashir, 71, who seized power in Sudan in an Islamist-backed coup in 1989.
The United States, which is not a signatory to the ICC, said it was “disappointed that no action was taken” by South Africa.
UN chief Ban Ki-moon said the arrest warrant was “a matter I take extremely seriously and the authority of the ICC must be respected”.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Saudi Arabia to allow sports fans to attend full-capacity events
Grand Mosque in Makkah drops social distancing
Russia scrambles fighter jet to escort US military plane
Iran's navy says repulses pirate attack in Gulf of Aden
Hundreds protest in Sudan's capital against government
Lebanon on edge after deadly sectarian flare-up
Shooting rocks Beirut amid tensions over blast probe
UN slams ‘horrific’ violence against migrants in Libya
Beirut blast judge issues arrest warrant for ex finance minister Khalil