IS suicide bomber kills 3 outside Saudi mosque
May 30 2015 01:30 AM
RELATED STORIES
 The cousin of a victim prays at the site of the suicide bombing in Dammam yesterday.
The cousin of a victim prays at the site of the suicide bombing in Dammam yesterday.

AFP
Riyadh

An Islamic State militant killed three people yesterday when he blew himself up in a car outside a Shia mosque in Saudi Arabia, the second such attack in a week.
The bombing, again coinciding with Friday prayers, took place in Eastern Province.
It killed three people and wounded four, the interior ministry said.
The suicide bomber—disguised in women’s clothing—detonated his device at the entrance to the mosque, said the official Saudi Press Agency, citing a ministry spokesman.
“Authorities have managed to foil a terrorist crime targeting people performing the Friday prayers at Al Anoud mosque in Dammam,” the provincial capital, he said.
The bomber “detonated the explosive belt he was wearing at the mosque entrance as security officials were on their way to inspect him”, he said, citing preliminary results of the investigation.
The explosion happened just as the attacker’s vehicle stopped at a car park near the mosque, the spokesman said.
IS, in a statement carried by jihadist accounts on Twitter, quickly said the attack was carried out by “a soldier of the caliphate, Abu Jandal al-Jazrawi”.
It said the bomber managed to “reach the target despite heavy protection” outside the mosque.
Yesterday’s blast came exactly seven days after the militant group sent a suicide bomber into another Shia mosque in Eastern Province, an attack which cost 21 lives.
Sympathisers of the extremist group were also accused by Saudi authorities of gunning down seven members of the minority Shia community in an attack last November.
Activist Nassima al-Sada, who arrived at the site after yesterday’s bombing, said the assailant blew himself up after security volunteers tried to prevent him from entering the ladies’ section of the only Shia mosque in Dammam.
Women were not allowed to pray at the mosque this week for security reasons, Sada said.
After the May 22 attack, residents had set up security committees to search those entering mosques during prayers, witnesses said.
A Dammam resident told AFP that the Shia community would not allow the attackers to succeed in their goal of stoking sectarian tensions.
“From our side, we’ll try not to have these guys succeed in their mission. We will still continue to work hand in hand,” he said.
Bahrain condemned the “terrorist bombing” which “aims to fuel sectarian divisions”, state news agency BNA said.
Gulf Co-operation Council head Abdullatif al-Zayani condemned the “cowardly criminal act that contradicts all principles of Islam and humanity”.
He reiterated the GCC’s commitment to “uprooting terrorism regardless of its reasons or perpetrators”.
From Cairo, the head of Al Azhar, Sunni Islam’s top seat of learning, urged Muslims “not to allow themselves to be dragged into plots to inflame sectarian tensions”.
In his condemnation, Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb stressed “the sanctity of blood and of the houses of God”, and “respect for the brotherhood of Islam”.
As the bomber struck in Dammam, Saudi cleric Osama al-Khayat, leading Friday prayers in the holy city of Makkah, deplored last week’s attack and urged people to “stand up against ... this great sin”.   
King Salman has vowed to punish anyone linked to last week’s “heinous crime”.  
The country’s top cleric, Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdulaziz al-Sheikh, has called it a “criminal act” targeting national unity.
Saudi Arabia has joined a US-led military coalition against IS in Syria, raising concerns about possible retaliation.
And since late March, Saudi Arabia has also led a coalition in an air war on Iran-backed Shia rebels in Yemen.






Last updated:


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore