‘88 killed’ in battle for key Syrian sites
April 26 2014 10:30 PM
RELATED STORIES

A Free Syrian Army fighter walks near the government-controlled Hanano barracks in the Old City of Aleppo yesterday.

 

At least 88 rebel and regime forces have been killed in two days of clashes for control of strategic sites in Syria’s southern Daraa province, a monitoring group said yesterday.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights based in Britain said 45 opposition fighters and 43 regime forces had been killed in the fighting that began on Thursday.

Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP that rebel forces, including fighters from Al Qaeda’s Syria affiliate Al Nusra Front, had seized the strategic Tal al-Jabiyeh hill on Thursday.

Clashes were continuing as the opposition fighters sought to take another hilltop nearby in a bid to connect territory they hold in Daraa and the Quneitra region, alongside the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

The Observatory said rebel forces had seized weapons and ammunition during the clashes and that regime forces had called in support from heavy artillery and helicopters to try to retake the hill.

Yesterday, Abdel Rahman said, the opposition was focusing its efforts on capturing Tal Jamu, some 5km from Tal al-Jabiyeh, in a bid to link areas under its control.

Last updated:


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS