* International Stabilization Force was part of U.S.-sponsored Gaza peace deal
* Funds would be first significant tranche for the operation
* Gaza peace plan has largely stalled amid Hamas, Israel resistance
President Donald Trump's administration has told Congress it is sending more than $206 million for a proposed Gaza peacekeeping force, the first significant funding for the stalled U.S. plan to rebuild the devastated enclave.
In two July 30-dated notifications seen by Reuters, the State Department informed Congress it will provide $200 million for the International Stabilization Force's (ISF) equipment, infrastructure, vehicles and operational costs. An additional $6 million would repurpose U.S. armored vehicles to support the force.
The notifications, which were addressed to key appropriations and foreign affairs committees in Congress, have not been previously reported. The funding is the first concrete U.S. spending on the peacekeeping force and signals the administration's determination to press ahead with Trump's Gaza roadmap even as both Israel and Hamas have balked at conditions needed to advance the plan.
"The ISF will lead security operations, support comprehensive demilitarization, and enable the safe delivery of humanitarian aid and reconstruction material to Gaza," one of the notifications said, while noting the final composition of the force was still being negotiated.
The administration has not said how much money will ultimately be needed to fund the force. Trump set up a Board of Peace to oversee his ambitious plan to end Israel's war in Gaza and rebuild the shattered territory. His plan envisioned that the peacekeeping force would deploy to Gaza to secure areas after Israeli forces withdraw and would train new Palestinian police forces and support aid deliveries.
Much of Gaza remains in ruins from two years of war triggered by the Hamas-led attacks on Israel on October 7, 2023. But since the announcement of an agreement in late July, the effort has stalled, with both Israel and Hamas refusing to fulfill conditions that would allow the deal to move ahead.
Trump's envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner held meetings with Hamas officials on Sunday and Israeli leaders on Monday in Jerusalem but left without a breakthrough, with both sides standing firm on key demands. An official from the Board of Peace described the last two weeks as a period of "significant advances" and said the board had sought additional funding pledges as a result.
The official, who was granted anonymity to speak freely with media, said the funding was needed for the construction of a base for forces inside Gaza among other reconstruction projects.
Member countries had initially pledged $17 billion for reconstruction efforts inside Gaza but Reuters reported in April that only a fraction of the funds had been received. The Board of Peace has not made public the amount that it has received so far.The State Department did not immediately provide comment for this story.