South Korean President Moon Jae-in sounded a note of caution Wednesday over the North's offer of denuclearisation talks, saying it was "too early to be optimistic", even as US leader Donald Trump welcomed the development.
President Trump welcomed Pyongyang's breakthrough declaration -- as relayed by Seoul -- that it wanted to talk to the US and would not need nuclear weapons if its security was guaranteed as positive and apparently sincere.
It followed months of tensions, threats and personal insults between him and the North's leader Kim Jong Un, before the Winter Olympics in the South triggered a flurry of diplomacy.
Moon and Kim will sit down for a summit on the southern side of the Demilitarized Zone next month, Seoul said after its envoys returned from a historic trip to Pyongyang.
Kim said the North would halt provocative missile and nuclear tests while talks are under way, it added.
But Moon told party leaders: "We are only at the starting line and it's too early to be optimistic."
"Inter-Korean talks won't be enough to achieve peace," he said, stressing the importance of Seoul maintaining close co-operation with its security guarantor Washington and adding there would be no let-up in sanctions or pressure purely as a result of inter-Korean dialogue.
There have been two previous inter-Korean summits, in 2000 and 2007, both of them in Pyongyang -- although it later emerged the North had been paid $500 million ahead of the first meeting, prompting critics to denounce it as a bribe.
Moon denied there had been any behind-the-scenes agreement with Pyongyang in return for it coming to the negotiating table, adding: "There will be no such a thing as a gift to the North."
Trump was upbeat on the news from Seoul, crediting Washington's "very, very strong" sanctions push, as well as "big help" from China, for the potential diplomatic breakthrough.
"We have come a long way at least rhetorically with North Korea," Trump said.
"We are going to do something, one way or the other, we are going to do something and not let that situation fester."
But he signalled the threat of military action remained on the table should talks fail to make headway, and his administration said it would press ahead with potentially provocative joint war games with South Korea.
China's foreign ministry praised the "positive outcomes" of the meeting in Pyongyang, urging both sides to "seize the current opportunity" to promote the denuclearisation of the peninsula.
But Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said there was no change in Tokyo's policy of imposing "maximum pressure" on the North over its nuclear and missile programmes.
Past talks and deals with the North had failed to result in its denuclearisation, he pointed out, after defence minister Itsunori Onodera told reporters: "We still don't know clearly North Korea's intention."
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Kim Jong Un hails 'unity' with China in new visit
North Korea rejects remarks by UN rights boss as "fabricated"
North Korea's Kim makes two-day visit to China
South Korea and US set to suspend major military drills
Pompeo says N Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
North Korean state media hails Kim-Trump summit success
Japan PM hails Trump-Kim agreement as 'first step'
US offers ‘unique’ guarantees before historic summit
Kim loyalists shuffled to key posts before summit