Don't burn charcoal or wood indoors, HMC warns
January 28 2018 08:46 PM
Charcoal

Doha

With temperatures expected to drop further this week, Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) has warned about the dangers of burning wood or charcoal indoors, or in an enclosed space, due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from the gas that is released.
"One of the leading causes of carbon monoxide-related poisoning and death is the burning of wood or charcoal inside the home," HMC said in a statement aimed at raising awareness about the issue.
"Lack of proper ventilation results in the concentration of gas getting higher and higher until the level is so great that people inside the room or house where the gas is present breathe it in and suffocate – leading to brain damage and death."
Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that is particularly dangerous as it cannot be seen or smelt. This means that people who are exposed to it may not be aware of its presence. Even small quantities of the gas can be extremely deadly particularly when this gas is released in a small space without proper ventilation, the statement explains. 
Dr Dominic Jenkins, senior consultant in Emergency Medicine and deputy chair for Clinical Affairs at HMC, has warned residents of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and the particular danger of burning wood and charcoal indoors.
He said, “When charcoal burns, it releases carbon monoxide gas. This has no taste or smell but can be lethal as it displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain and other organs of oxygen. Large amounts of this gas can make a person lose consciousness in minutes without warning - causing suffocation and sometimes death.
"Mild carbon monoxide poisoning may feel like food poisoning or flu, although unlike flu, it doesn't cause a high temperature (fever). Symptoms can include headache, fatigue, drowsiness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting. More severe cases of poisoning may cause muscle cramps and fainting and loss of consciousness due to the poor delivery of oxygen to the heart and the brain. 
"The effects of carbon monoxide poisoning are particularly dangerous for children, pregnant women, people with chronic heart diseases, respiratory problems or anaemia."
Dr Jenkins warned that residents should never light wood or charcoal fires inside or in enclosed spaces and only approved heating appliances should be used. If symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are suspected, occupants should immediately leave the building, call 999 or seek medical assistance.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS