Turkish authorities issued detention warrants for 79 former school employees on Wednesday over alleged links to last year's failed military coup, broadcaster NTV said.
They were suspected of using ByLock, an encrypted messaging app which the government says was used by the network of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom it accuses of orchestrating the abortive putsch in July 2016.
The suspects worked at private schools and tutor schools which prepared students for university entrance exams, many of which used to be run by supporters of Gulen.
Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in the United States since 1999, has denied involvement and condemned the coup attempt.
Since the coup attempt some 150,000 people have been sacked or suspended from jobs in the public and private sectors, including some who worked at schools founded by his supporters, and more than 50,000 have been detained for alleged links to it.
The crackdown has alarmed rights groups and some of Turkey's Western allies, who fear the government is using the coup as a pretext to quash dissent.
The government, however, says Gulen's network deeply infiltrated Turkey's institutions - the army, schools and courts - and only a massive purge could neutralise the threat.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Iran, Russia and Turkey diplomats meet ahead of Syria summit
Saudi Aramco shuts Jeddah refinery indefinitely
Lebanon FM to skip Arab League summit on Iran
Hariri to clarify position on return to Lebanon
Syria troops retake most of last IS-held town
Gaza border opened for first time since unity deal
Oman celebrates 47th National Day
France should not interfere in missile programme, says Iran
Hariri tells Lebanese president will be in Lebanon Wednesday