Representatives of around 40 countries on Saturday approved plans to establish a fund to protect heritage sites in war zones and a network of safe havens for endangered artworks.
‘We are committed to pursuing (these) two ambitious, long-term goals to guarantee the further mobilisation of the international community for the safeguarding of heritage,’ a statement issued after a two-day meeting in the United Arab Emirates capital said.
The meeting's Emirati and French co-sponsors had set a $100 million target for the fund but the statement did not specify how much had been pledged.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Palestinians urge ICC probe into ‘Israeli war crimes’
Iraq court sentences Belgian militant to death for IS membership
Syrian police deploy in south Damascus after IS defeat
53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
Belgian jihadist sentenced to death for IS membership
Israel says it's the first country to use F-35 in combat
On former battlefield, Kuwaiti investor plans date palm groves
US delegation encounters protests
On a Damascus rooftop, tinting silk a fading craft