Representatives of around 40 countries on Saturday approved plans to establish a fund to protect heritage sites in war zones and a network of safe havens for endangered artworks.
‘We are committed to pursuing (these) two ambitious, long-term goals to guarantee the further mobilisation of the international community for the safeguarding of heritage,’ a statement issued after a two-day meeting in the United Arab Emirates capital said.
The meeting's Emirati and French co-sponsors had set a $100 million target for the fund but the statement did not specify how much had been pledged.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Turkey's Erdogan wins sweeping new powers after election victory
Families flee as Syria regime bombards southern city
UN envoy due in Yemen as strains escalate with Houthi missile launch
Saudi-led coalition says Hezbollah fighters killed in Yemen battles
Nearly 1,000 migrants rescued off Libya coast: navy
Fighting moves closer to centre of Hodeidah city
Israeli shelling injures three Palestinians
Prince William in Jordan for five-day Middle East visit
Erdogan facing major test as voting ends in Turkey elections