Six people died and six more were left in a critical condition from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a karaoke bar in northern Vietnam, police said yesterday.
The 12 men had apparently spent Sunday night at the karaoke bar in Quang Ninh province, which borders China, when there was a power failure, a policeman said.
“The bar owner ran the generator and we believe the victims suffocated due to generator fumes,” he said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
State media reported that the victims had been drinking heavily and had decided to sleep the night at the karaoke bar.
Carbon monoxide poisoning causes headaches, nausea and fatigue and prolonged exposure to the colourless, odourless gas can be fatal.
Portable generators release higher levels of the gas than an idling car and need to be properly ventilated to prevent a build up of the poisonous gas.
Karaoke is a popular form of entertainment in Vietnam, but many karaoke bars are not properly designed and do not meet minimum safety standards, especially in rural areas.
In May, five people burned to death in a fire at a karaoke bar in Hanoi after an electrical fault triggered a massive blaze.
Vietnam’s karaoke bars are known for attracting heavy-drinking patrons and several establishments have been linked to prostitution, which is illegal in the communist country.Last updated:
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Defiant Hun Sen tells US to cut all aid to Cambodia
De Lima questions justice dept move to amend complaint
Dela Rosa admits spike in drug and rape cases
Police will return to drugs war if problem worsens: Duterte
Freeport evacuating Indonesian mine worker families after shootings
Philippine leader says police to return to drugs war if problem worsens
Cambodian court charges two journalists with espionage
Uson, Roque set for senatorial run with ruling party support
Bomb plot foiled ahead of Asean summit: police