The Miss World beauty pageant will go ahead in Indonesia next month despite objections from the country’s leading Islamic federation, an organiser said yesterday.
“We have obtained support from the government so there are no obstacles,” said Syafril Nasution, corporate affairs director for RCTI, the organiser and official broadcaster of the event.
“Since the beginning, we have made it clear that the event will not feature bikinis, or make use of anything that is against religious and cultural values,” he said. “So we don’t really understand why there are still objections.”
Amidhan Sabrah, chairman of the Indonesian Council of Ulema, said it was opposed to the event because it objectified women.
“This kind of events turn women into a commodity and that is against Islam,” he said. “Maybe in the West it’s not a problem, but it should not part of our customs.”
But Sabrah conceded that the council was not a religious police.
“We have the right to object,” he said. “Whether the event will go ahead or not it’s up to the government.”
The semi-official council consists of religious scholars representing the country’s various Islamic organisations.
The pageant is scheduled for September 28 in Sentul, on the outskirts of Jakarta.
Last year, authorities in Jakarta refused to issue a concert permit for eccentric American pop diva Lady Gaga following protests by hardline groups that said her stage act was pornographic.
About 88% of Indonesia’s 238mn people adhere to the Islamic faith, making it the world’s largest Muslim-majority country.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
This week in Asean
Jho Low family dealt setback over 1MDB
Manila won’t shut down for Miss Universe
Davao hitman files complaint against Duterte over deaths
45,000 left homeless after Indonesia quake
Bride-to-be grieves for groom killed in quake
Trial of ousted Thai PM Yingluck to end in July
Najib opens thorny debate in genocide accusation
Undertaker misery on frontlines of brutal crackdown