US President Donald Trump (pictured) said yesterday that no talks with Iran are under way or scheduled, as he posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a new American territory in a fresh jibe at Tehran.
Trump has been pressing his threat to claim sovereignty over the crucial energy waterway as the nearly six-month-old Iran war grinds on with little sign of resolution.
Trump’s envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner had said on Monday that the United States and Iran were having "very positive and active conversations”, but the president denied that was the case.
"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social network yesterday.
"The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”
US sources told AFP there had been "positive” discussions with the Iranians, but added that Trump had decided to wait and asked his team not to engage until Iran was ready to make a deal.
Earlier yesterday, Trump posted a map on Truth Social showing the Strait of Hormuz as "NEW U.S. Territory.”
Iran has effectively shut down the chokepoint, through which a fifth of the world’s oil transits.