International
Beijing asserts its control over air zone despite US B-52 flights
Beijing asserts its control over air zone despite US B-52 flights
AFP/Beijing
China insisted yesterday it has the capacity to enforce its controversial newly-declared air zone over islands disputed with Japan, despite Beijing’s reluctance to intervene after American B-52 bombers flouted its rules.
The flight of the giant long-range Stratofortress planes was a clear warning that Washington would push back against what it considers an aggressive stance by Beijing in the region.
Beijing’s non-confrontational response elicited scorn from some Chinese netizens as weak in the face of defiance, but analysts said it may never have intended to impose the zone by force.
“The Chinese government has the will and ability to defend our national sovereignty and security,” foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang said at a regular press briefing. “We also have the ability to exercise effective control over the East Sea Air Defence Identification Zone,” (ADIZ) he said.
The area in the East China Sea includes Japan-administered islands at the heart of a tense dispute between the two neighbours, known as Senkaku in Tokyo and Diaoyu in Beijing.
China’s demand that aircraft submit flight plans when traversing it triggered a storm of diplomatic protest and the Pentagon said the B-52s did not comply.
But in a statement, Chinese defence ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng said: “The Chinese military monitored the entire process, carried out identification in a timely manner, and ascertained the type of US aircraft.”
The statement did not include any expression of regret or anger.
The Chinese ADIZ requires aircraft to provide their flight plan, declare their nationality and maintain two-way radio communication, or face defensive emergency measures.
State-run media say it extends as close to Japan as Tokyo’s zone approaches China.
Japan, the US and several other governments condemned the zone after it was announced over the weekend, and the US State Department reiterated on Tuesday that it appeared to be an attempt to “unilaterally change the status quo in the East China Sea”.
The B-52 flight was also a signal of US support for Japan, with which Washington has a security pact.
Its ambassador to Tokyo Caroline Kennedy said yesterday: “The Japanese can see every day that America is here for them as a partner in the defence of Japan.”
Japanese airlines, under pressure from Tokyo, yesterday stopped following China’s new rules after initially complying.
The bombers - which were unarmed - took off from Guam on Monday on a scheduled flight in what US defence officials insisted was a routine exercise.
Analysts said Beijing - where a key Communist Party meeting took place earlier this month - had remained vague about how it might enforce its authority and may never have intended to react in the field.
It may have simply wanted to declare an ADIZ to match Japan’s and further assert its claim to the contested islands, they said.
Beijing left its options open “so they can explain away things like why there’s nothing they can do about the violation of their ADIZ”, said Jingdong Yuan, an international security expert at the University of Sydney.
Gary Li, a senior fellow at consultancy IHS Maritime, said: “You don’t necessarily have to respond to everything and have that necessarily mean you look weak if you don’t.
“The ADIZ is entirely designed to give the Chinese more options on the diplomatic side of the argument, give them more tools, more leverage.”
Chinese officials and state media have accused Japan and the US - which both have ADIZs - of double standards, and argue that the real provocateur is Tokyo.
The islands dispute, which has simmered for decades, escalated in September 2012 when Japan purchased three of the uninhabited outcrops from private owners.
Beijing accused Tokyo of changing the status quo and has since sent ships and planes to the area as displays of force, prompting Japan to scramble fighter jets 386 times in the year to September.
After an unidentified drone flew towards the islands, Tokyo threatened to shoot down such aircraft, which Beijing warned would amount to an “act of war”.
The manoeuvres have raised fears of an accidental clash but analysts stress that both sides have commercial incentives to avoid conflict.
Beyond the East China Sea, Beijing has taken an assertive approach to territorial disputes in the South China Sea, while the US has sought to shift its strategic focus to Asia in response to China’s growing might.
China netizens call for action against Japan in airspace spat
Chinese internet users are calling for tough measures to enforce China’s new airspace defence zone over waters disputed with Japan, with many saying only war will teach Japan not to mess with Chinese sovereignty.
China published coordinates for an East China Sea Air Defence Identification Zone over the weekend and warned it would take “defensive emergency measures” against aircraft that failed to identify themselves properly in the airspace.
The war of words between Beijing, Tokyo and Washington following the announcement has only deepened the intense dislike many Chinese have of Japan, due largely to what China feels is Japan’s lack of contrition at its brutal occupation of part of China before and during World War II.
With strict government controls generally preventing people from taking to the streets to express their anger - though there were torrid anti-Japan protests last year - Chinese have flocked to the Twitter-like Sina Weibo service to make their voices heard.
“You little Japanese are shameless. Our military ought to fiercely strike you down, attacking until you admit the error of your ways and until you give our land back to us,” wrote a Weibo user who identified himself as Hong Zaixing.
“We must attack them - I’m willing to sign up,” wrote Hong Yindou.
Others said that China should suspend all economic links with Japan.
“Boycott Japanese goods, kill the thieves,” wrote “snakes watching ants”.
“The best method would be to cut off all economic exchanges with Japan. Within a year they would collapse,” added “Jilisi hot”.
China’s Defence Ministry said it monitored the B-52s’ flight, adding that it had the ability to “effectively manage and control” the zone, but made no threat of retaliation.
Some Weibo users said stronger action was needed.
“Lodging protests won’t get you anywhere. We must take real action. Nobody is scared of protests,” wrote “gongzhuai521”.
Retired Major General Luo Yuan, one of China’s most outspoken military figures, wrote on his Weibo account that China had to enforce the zone with force if necessary.
“It must be enforced to the full, and no country must think that they can harbour the idea of leaving things to chance,” he wrote.
“If they refuse to comply, and act wilfully despite advice to the contrary ... China’s armed forces will take emergency defensive measures.”