Region
Yemen risks return to 'full-scale conflict', warns UN rights chief
The UN rights chief voiced alarm yesterday at the rising civilian toll of escalating hostilities in Yemen, urging efforts to avoid plunging the country back into full-scale war.
Yemen, which has been embroiled in more than a decade of civil conflict, last month became the latest country to be dragged into the Middle East war as the Iran-backed Houthis upended the 2022 truce with the Saudi-backed government, ramping up attacks on areas it holds.
The latest violence has raised the spectre of a return to war in the Arabian Peninsula's poorest country.
"I call on all parties to de-escalate tensions and spare the Yemeni people from further misery. The Yemeni people have already suffered way too much from the devastating legacy of years of conflict, displacement and humanitarian crisis," Turk said.
"I urge all parties to halt immediately any actions that risk returning Yemen to full-scale conflict."
Earlier this month, the rebels launched their deadliest attacks in years, killing 58 government troops, according to a military source, mainly in the oil-rich Marib province.
Two civilians were killed in Houthi shelling on residential areas and displacement camps in Marib that same day.
The UN rights office said at least seven civilians had been killed and 10 others wounded in Houthi attacks on government-controlled areas since August 6, while two civilians had been reported injured in Houthi-held areas in late July.
Houthi missile and drone attacks on the port of Mokha on the Red Sea on August 9 had killed three port workers and injured four others, it said.
Another attack by the group on a cargo ship in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait on August 11 had reportedly killed four crew members — three Pakistanis and one Indonesian — and injured several others, it added.
The rights office highlighted that multiple civilian sites had also been hit in the attacks, including fuel storage facilities and a residential compound at the Saudi Field Hospital in Mokha.
"Attacks on civilian infrastructure risk further deepening civilian suffering at a time when at least 18 mn Yemenis are already food insecure," Turk said.
"These attacks must end immediately."