Qatar has suspended its case at the World Trade Organisation (WTO) against the UAE over measures it said were designed to isolate Qatar economically.
The suspension, announced in a document filed at the WTO on Tuesday, follows moves by Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt to end the rift with Qatar that started in 2017.
Doha launched a complaint at the WTO in that year over the UAE's closure of its maritime border to Qatar, prohibition on Qatari aircraft entering its airspace, suspension of handling mail and closure of Qatari service suppliers' offices. A three-person WTO panel had been set to decide on the case in the first quarter of this year.
The document issued yesterday said Qatar had requested the panel reviewing the dispute suspend its work in order to facilitate an "amicable final settlement". A trade official said the panel had agreed to do so. The panel's authority to decide on the case will formally lapse if its work is suspended for more than 12 months.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MoPH reports 460 new Covid-19 cases, 293 recoveries and one death
Qatar Charity’s ‘Renovation Challenge’ hands over first house this year
QFFD, QRCS build medical capacity in northern Syria
DHFC launches digital raffle draw in partnership with QNTC
Doha Institute appoints Mariam Al-Misnad as Executive Director
734 to face prosecution for violating Covid-19 measures
Maximum fee hike in schools is 2%, says education ministry
QF researcher develops first salivary microbiome composition of Qatari population
Qatar calls for equitable distribution of vaccines