At least 28 ferry passengers were swept overboard in a powerful storm off the Solomon Islands, reports said Saturday, with the captain unaware he had lost anyone until the boat docked.
The passengers were heading from the capital Honiara to West Are'are, more than 120 kilometres (75 miles) away, under a government programme to evacuate people to their home villages during the global coronavirus epidemic.
The MV Taimareho set sail on Thursday night as tropical cyclone Harold bore down on the Solomons, and with weather forecasters warning against any unnecessary voyages.
But the captain ignored advice not to sail, the nation's leader said, as survivors reported dozens of people were swept overboard by huge waves and strong winds. Local media put the death toll at 28.
But police said it was impossible to verify the number.
‘Initial reports say the captain of the boat had no knowledge of the missing people until he was informed when the boat arrived at her destination at Are'are,’ police marine department chief Charles Fox Sau said.
‘At this stage we cannot confirm how many people are missing as the investigation into this sad incident continues.’
In an address to the nation, Prime Minister Manasseh Sovagare said a search and rescue operation was under way.
‘It is with deep regret to learn that a number of passengers are missing at sea after being washed overboard from a passenger vessel which departed ... from Honiara, despite the several weather warnings issued,’ he said.
Disaster authorities in the Solomons, which has limited healthcare facilities, have been stretched as they prepared for the impact of coronavirus while the region was being battered by tropical cyclone Harold.
The island nation, with a population of just over 600,000, is one of a dwindling number of countries where there have been no reported coronavirus cases so far.
Harold, packing winds of up to 160 kilometres per hour (100 mph), downed trees and damaged homes before heading away and was expected to intensify before reaching Vanuatu late Sunday.
Although the government has not yet completed a damage assessment, Australia has donated Aus$100,000 (US$60,000) in immediate emergency funding.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Russian proxies claim control of key town in east Ukraine
Court rejects Suu Kyi corruption appeal
Millions of Somalis at risk of famine: UN agencies
Unicef: More than 1.5 million children fled Ukraine due to Russian military escalation
2.5 million people have now fled Ukraine: UN
As Omicron surges, New Zealand's businesses want Covid bubble burst
Shackleton’s lost shipwreck discovered off Antarctica
More than 291,000 Ukrainians fled to Romania since Russian invasion
World Bank approves $723 mln in loans, grants for Ukraine