A man was burnt to death yesterday after a pastor mistook petrol for water during a healing service in Lagos.
“The pastor picked a keg believing it contained water not knowing it was filled with petrol,” said Ibrahim Farinloye of the National Emergency Management Agency.
“In the process of emptying the contents on the man, a lit candle nearby sparked fire that engulfed both of them,” Farinloye told AFP.
The church fire in the Baruwa area in the north of the sprawling city then spread to nearby oil pipelines, which burst into flames, he added.
“We have recovered the body of a man. He was burned beyond recognition, while another person (the pastor) was severely burnt,” Farinloye said.
The head of Lagos state emergency service LASEMA, Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed the accident, adding that operations were under way to extinguish the pipeline blaze.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Car bomb attack wounds Turkish contractors, police near Somali capital
Thousands in Gambia rally for Jammeh return
Mozambique leader sworn in despite opposition boycott
South Africa will embrace private power generation: Ramaphosa
Sahel leaders honour French troops before anti-terror summit
Ivory Coast pledges trafficking crackdown as 137 child victims are rescued
Ethiopian PM Abiy expects parliamentary poll in May
Ethiopian PM asks S.Africa to mediate Nile dam dispute
Swarms of locusts threaten food security in Kenya: govt