Tearful Shakhtar captain Taison sent off despite being racially abused
November 11 2019 11:14 PM
RELATED STORIES
Dynamo Kiev’s Mykola Shaparenko (right) consoles Shakhtar Donetsk’s Taison, who was racially abused
Dynamo Kiev’s Mykola Shaparenko (right) consoles Shakhtar Donetsk’s Taison, who was racially abused during the Ukrainian Premier League match. (Reuters)

.

Shakhtar Donetsk captain Taison on Sunday was sent off for kicking the ball at Dynamo Kiev fans after they targeted him with racist abuse. Taison left the field in tears after his red card for “unsporting behaviour”, which came when he reacted to the insults from away supporters in the 74th minute of the Ukrainian Premier League clash, at the Metalist stadium in Kharkiv, by first giving them the finger before kicking the ball at them.
The Brazilian, who joined Shakhtar in 2013, was consoled by Dynamo players. Countryman and teammate Dentinho also broke down in tears. The two teams briefly left the field before the match, eventually won 1-0 by Shakhtar, was restarted. “Racism is a disgrace, we have to fight it together, every minute and every second,” said Shakhtar coach Luis Castro.
In a statement, Shakhtar said that it “categorically opposes any form of racism”, adding that “nothing can justify insulting people because of their skin colour, their religion or their political opinions”. Shakhtar’s win ensured they stay top of the league, two points ahead of Zorya as they hunt their fourth straight title.


Sevilla go fourth after edging derby with Betis
Sevilla took the spoils in a fiercely contested city derby on Sunday, beating Real Betis 2-1 away from home to move up to fourth in La Liga. Julen Lopetegui’s side took the lead in the 14th minute when Argentine forward Lucas Ocampos scooped up an attempted clearance inside the area and fired under Betis keeper Joel Robles.
Betis’s top scorer Loren Moron snatched an equaliser for the hosts towards the end of the first half, volleying in from close range. Sevilla restored their lead 10 minutes into the second period through Dutch striker Luuk de Jong and withstood waves of late pressure to grind out the victory, prompting wild celebrations from Lopetegui on the sidelines.
The win took Sevilla into fourth in the standings on 24 points after 13 games, level with third-placed Atletico Madrid and one behind second-placed Real Madrid and leaders Barcelona, who both have a game in hand.


PSG goalkeeper Navas out injured for two weeks
Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Keylor Navas has been ruled out of action for at least two weeks with a thigh injury, the Costa Rican football federation (FEDEFUT) announced on Sunday. The former Real Madrid number one pulled out of PSG’s 2-1 win at Brest on Saturday after injuring himself during the warm-up.
The problem will rule him out of Costa Rica’s upcoming CONCACAF Nations League games against Curacao and Haiti, on November 15 and 18, and faces a race to be fit in time for PSG’s Champions League match at Real Madrid on November 26. PSG coach Thomas Tuchel has an extremely lengthy injury list, with Navas joining Kylian Mbappe, Neymar, Ander Herrera, Thomas Meunier and Thilo Kehrer on the sidelines. Sergio Rico stepped in at Brest to make his Paris debut after joining on loan from Sevilla.


Traore out of Spain squad one day after first call-up
Wolves winger Adama Traore was forced to withdraw from the Spain squad with injury on Sunday just one day after receiving his maiden international call-up. He was drafted in as a replacement for the injured Rodrigo on Saturday, but pulled out after Wolves’ 2-1 derby win over Aston Villa.
The 23-year-old has now been replaced in the squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against Malta on November 15 and Romania three days later by Paris Saint-Germain’s Pablo Sarabia.
Traore’s call-up was a surprise, as he had reportedly closed the door on Spain earlier this week to play for Mali, despite representing the Spanish under-21 side earlier this year.


Tonali replaces Verratti for Italy’s Euro qualifiers
Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti, AS Roma defender Leonardo Spinazzola and Sassuolo striker Domenico Berardi have all been ruled out of Italy’s final Euro 2020 qualifiers, the country’s football federation (FIGC) confirmed.  Brescia’s 19-year-old midfielder Sandro Tonali comes in for Verratti, but Spinazzola and Berardi have not been replaced. 
Tonali made his senior international debut on October 15, coming on as a substitute in the 5-0 away win against Liechtenstein in Vaduz. He played a key role in Brescia’s promotion to Serie A this season and scored his first Serie A goal on October 26. 
Italy, who have already qualified for next year’s European Championship, face Bosnia and Herzegovina on November 15 before hosting Armenia three days later.
Matuidi to miss France’s 
Euro qualifiers with injury
Blaise Matuidi has been ruled out of France’s Euro 2020 qualifiers against Moldova and Albania after fracturing a rib cartilage, the midfielder’s club Juventus announced.  Juventus did not state for how long the 32-year-old would be out of action. Matuidi picked up the injury in the 1-0 win over AC Milan that kept Juve top of Serie A, and failed to make the trip to Paris ahead of the two Group H clashes on Thursday and Sunday which could seal qualification for next summer’s finals.
Coach Didier Deschamps has picked Arsenal’s uncapped Matteo Guendouzi in Matuidi’s place, and is sweating on the fitness of Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tanguy Ndombele, who suffered a groin injury in Tottenham’s 1-1 Premier League draw with Sheffield United. Les Bleus’ squad will meet at the historic Clairefontaine training camp with France second in their group, level on 19 points with leaders Turkey and four ahead of third-placed Iceland with two matches to play. 
With two teams qualifying from each group, a win against bottom side Moldova at the Stade de France this week would guarantee a spot in the finals. They will also qualify if Iceland fail to beat Turkey.


Lanzini to have surgery 
on fractured collarbone
Manuel Lanzini is likely to be sidelined for the rest of the year after suffering a fractured collarbone during West Ham United’s 3-0 defeat by Burnley in the Premier League. The Argentine midfielder, who missed most of last season with a knee injury, fell awkwardly after being fouled by Burnley’s Ashley Westwood during the closing stages of the match on Saturday.
Lanzini required oxygen and was carried off on a stretcher at Turf Moor, before the club confirmed the player would have surgery in London. The problems continue to mount for West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini, whose team slipped to 16th. They are now without a win in their last six league matches and sit just five points above the relegation zone.


Warnock leaves Cardiff 
by mutual consent
Cardiff manager Neil Warnock has left his position by mutual consent, the club announced with the Welsh side languishing 14th in the Championship table. “Today I am leaving my beloved Bluebirds after over three years of which have been some of the best days in my long football career,” said Warnock, 70, who had planned to step down at the end of the season. 
Warnock was appointed in October 2016 with Cardiff second from bottom in the Championship, but after consolidating their position in England’s second tier, he guided the club to promotion to the Premier League in 2018. Relegation followed last season during a difficult campaign in which the club’s record signing Emiliano Sala died in a plane crash. Defeat to Bristol City on Sunday capped a run of one win in six league games that left Cardiff seven points off a playoff place. 


Saudi Arabia to host 
January Spanish Super Cup
The Spanish Super Cup will be held in Saudi Arabia and moved to the winter for the next three editions, Spain’s football association (RFEF) announced. Jeddah’s King Abdullah stadium will host the four-team tournament in early January as opposed to its traditional pre-season date in August.
The competition sees La Liga winners Barcelona face Atletico Madrid and Copa del Rey champions Valencia play Real Madrid before a final on January 12. RFEF president Luis Rubiales said women would be allowed into the ground for the fixtures and the governing body would subsequently help the Saudi Arabian football federation to organise a local league for women.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS