Two Israelis were wounded yesterday in what the Israeli army called a car-ramming attack near a Jewish settlement in the occupied West Bank, while the suspected fighter was shot dead.
“A fighter ran over two civilians,” an English-language army statement said.
“The civilians were injured and evacuated to hospital for medical treatment. The fighter was neutralised,” it said.
The two wounded were brother and sister from Elazar settlement, adjacent to the scene of the incident, south of Bethlehem.
A police statement said an off-duty policeman passing by the scene near Elazar settlement saw the alleged fighter trying to exit his vehicle, and fired at him.
The Palestinian health ministry later said that the man had died of his wounds, without naming him.
Police video, shot by the same off-duty officer, showed the white suspect vehicle travelling at speed and veering off the road towards a bus stop.
Dr Bala Miklosh, head of the trauma department at Jerusalem’s Hadassah hospital, said one of the Israelis was a man aged “about 19” with serious head injuries, correcting earlier reports of his age.
“He is undergoing surgery but is not yet out of danger,” he said in a video clip on Whataspp.
A young woman — less seriously injured — was taken to the city’s Shaare Zedek hospital.
Last week, an off-duty Israeli soldier was stabbed to death in the same area. Two Palestinian suspects were later arrested.
Elsewhere in the West Bank, Palestinians and Israeli forces clashed in the village of Kfar Qaddum, near the northern city of Nablus, an AFP photographer at the scene said, in what has become weekly protests against the expropriation of Palestinian land by Israel.
On Thursday evening, two young Palestinians stabbed and lightly wounded an Israeli policeman in east Jerusalem’s walled Old City.
One of the fighters was shot dead by police at the scene and the other was taken to hospital where he was said to be in a critical condition.
The attack took place near one of the gates into the Al Aqsa Mosque compound.
INJURED IN GAZA
Meanwhile, Israeli occupation forces injured yesterday 18 Palestinians after shooting live and rubber-coated metal bullets on the peaceful weekly marches in the Gaza Strip, QNA reported from Gaza.
The occupation forces attacked the peaceful marches and fired live ammunition, rubber bullets, and teargas, injuring nine youth with live ammunition.
Nine others were wounded with rubber bullets and there were dozens of cases of suffocation due to tear gas, Palestine news agency Wafa reported.
Since March 30, 2018, Palestinians have participated in peaceful marches near the fence separating the Gaza Strip and the Palestinian Territories occupied in 1948, demanding the return of refugees to their towns and villages from which they were displaced in 1948 and breaking the siege on Gaza. The Israeli army suppresses these peaceful marches, firing poison gas and tear gas at the demonstrators, which resulted in the death of 326 Palestinians and the injuring 31,000 others, including leaving 500 in serious condition.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Qatar scores on ‘well-being’, moves up in SEDA rankings
Lebanon exhibits drones used in alleged Israeli attack
Iran warns of response to any strike
Dozens of children die in Liberia school fire
Iran leader rules out talks with US ‘at any level’
Saudi oil output to be restored to normal by September-end
France to press to drop Sudan from blacklist
Iran says diplomacy only solution to Syria crisis
Counting begins in Tunisia’s presidential election