Afghan security forces have freed 200 hostages and killed two assailants who launched a car bomb attack in Kabul near several government buildings on Monday, an official said.
The hostages were employees of the deputy ministry for martyrs and disabled, Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said.
Rahimi said Afghan security forces are in the process of clearing the area of militants and freeing the remaining hostages.
A social media user posted on Facebook that they were stuck inside the Public Works Ministry.
"They are killing everyone, don't know what to do?????" the man posted, asking people to pray.
The attack began with a car bombing, followed by an eruption of gunfire. The assailants then began entering the buildings and taking hostages, according to Rahimi.
The area has been closed off by police and special units were at the scene.
Four people had been injured in the incident so far, Rahimi said.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.
Monday's incident marks the 22nd attack in Kabul since January this year, leaving more than 510 people dead and close to 1,000 others wounded in the capital city alone.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Mass jailbreak in Afghanistan, at least 24 die in Islamic State attack
Afghan ceasefire holds as hundreds of Taliban prisoners freed
15 Children killed as floods ravage Afghan village
Taliban announce three-day ceasefire in Afghanistan starting Friday
More than 1,200 civilians dead in Afghanistan so far in 2020: UN
Taliban accuses Afghan government of recapturing released prisoners
Afghan all-girls robotics team designs low-cost ventilator to treat coronavirus patients
Dozens wounded as Taliban bomb rocks Afghan intel office
Blasts at Afghan market kill 23 civilians