Renewed violence in Yemen's vital port city of Hodeidah has left 10 fighters dead, despite a UN push for peace talks, an official and medical sources told AFP on Saturday.
An official with pro-government forces said fighting erupted in the east and south of the Red Sea city on Friday, while Houthi rebels on their television channel referred to an exchange of tank fire.
Intermittent clashes continued on Saturday, Hodeidah residents told AFP by phone.
The violence follows a visit to the city last month by UN envoy Martin Griffiths to press for talks aimed at ending the war which has pushed Yemen to the brink of famine.
Hodeidah port is held by the Houthis and serves as the entry point for nearly all of the country's imports and humanitarian aid.
A Saudi-led coalition supporting Yemen's internationally-recognised government launched an assault to take Hodeidah in June, but its forces had largely suspended the offensive amid intense diplomatic efforts.
Sporadic clashes have however continued since a fragile truce began on November 13.
Medical sources on Saturday confirmed the bodies of eight rebels had been transferred to hospitals.
Two fighters with pro-government forces were also killed, according to a medical source at a hospital in an area held by the loyalists.
In a further sign of renewed tensions, Saudi Arabia said the Houthis launched a "military projectile" which hit a house in the kingdom.
Two people were injured in the strike in Samtah governorate, Saudi state news agency SPA reported. It is the first confirmation by Riyadh of such a rocket attack since September.
The escalation comes just days ahead of proposed peace talks hosted by Sweden, which have been backed by both the coalition and rebels.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, however, has played down the early December schedule and said he hoped talks would start "this year".
"But, as you know, there have been some setbacks," he said on Thursday.
Riyadh has expressed concern over Houthi rocket attacks on Saudi territory, while the rebels are seeking assurances their delegation will be able to safely leave and return to Yemen.
Previous talks planned for September in Geneva failed to get underway as the Houthi delegation never left the Yemeni capital Sanaa, arguing that the United Nations could not guarantee their safe return.
Rebel delegates were left stranded in Oman for three months in 2016, after negotiations hosted by Kuwait collapsed after 108 days.
If conditions are met, all sides have in principle agreed to attend the talks in Sweden, including the government of Yemen's internationally-recognised president, Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Virus resurgence ‘truly tragic’, says Khamenei
Yemen's Houthis agree to give UN access to abandoned tanker: sources
Mali PM pledges to quickly form an ‘open’ government
Israelis protest against govt response to coronavirus
Rouhani says cannot shut down economy despite worsening Covid-19 outbreak
GLE makes striking addition to the Mercedes-Benz lineup
Al Zaman Exchange opens ninth branch
At border, Iraq PM vows to fight customs corruption
We face famine or virus: Syria's displaced alarmed at aid impasse