A Saudi-led military coalition resumed air strikes against rebel supply lines around Hodeidah on Sunday two days after a UN envoy visited the lifeline Yemeni port city, pro-government military officials said.
The air strikes targeted convoys of rebel reinforcements at the northern entrance to Hodeidah and south of the city, which is held by Iran-aligned Houthi insurgents, the officials told AFP.
The raids came alongside sporadic firefights on the eastern and southern edges of the port city, a resident told AFP.
The renewed violence came after UN envoy Martin Griffiths visited Hodeidah on Friday to assess the humanitarian situation ahead of peace talks between Yemen's coalition-backed government and the rebels set to take place in Sweden in December.
Rebel spokesman Mohammed Abdessalam said on Twitter there had been "35 air raids over the last 12 hours on Hodeidah, accompanied by artillery bombardments".
No reports of casualties were immediately available for the air raids and the fighting.
Under heavy international pressure, the Yemeni government and the coalition had until Sunday largely suspended a five-month offensive against the port city.
Fighting had intensified in early November as Yemeni forces backed by the coalition attempted to enter Hodeidah, but calm returned after Griffiths arrived in Yemen on Wednesday.
After visiting Hodeidah on Friday, Griffiths on Saturday met Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, head of the Houthi rebels' Higher Revolutionary Committee, in the insurgent-held capital Sanaa.
The UN envoy is due to hold talks with Yemen's internationally recognised government in the Saudi capital Riyadh on Monday, according to a UN source.
UN agencies say up to 14 million Yemenis are at risk of starvation if fighting closes the city's port, from which nearly all imports and humanitarian aid pass.
According to UN figures, nearly 10,000 people have been killed since the coalition joined the conflict in 2015 to reinforce the government, triggering what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis.
Rights groups fear the actual toll is far higher.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Sudan protesters pledge 'million march' for civil rule
At least 264 dead in battle for Libya capital: WHO
Sudanese militia commander waits in wings after president ousted
Day flights to resume at Libya capital's airport
Iran and Pakistan to form joint rapid reaction force at border - Rouhani
US warns terrorists continue to plot Sri Lanka attacks
Sudan's military council warns against road blocks as protests continue
Arab League pledges $100 million to Palestinians, rejects Trump's 'deal'
Khamenei appoints new chief for Iran's Revolutionary Guards