Khashoggi corpse went down the drains: report
November 10 2018 03:11 PM
Jamal Khashoggi
Khashoggi was last seen entering the consulate on October 2 to obtain documents for his forthcoming marriage.

AFP/Reuters/Ankara

 

*Turkey gave tapes related to killing to US, European nations: Erdogan

 

The killers of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi poured his remains down the drain after dissolving him in acid, a Turkish newspaper reported Saturday.
Samples taken from the drains at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul showed traces of acid, pro-government daily Sabah said, without quoting sources.
This led investigators to believe the body of the insider-turned-critic of the Riyadh regime was disposed of through the drains as liquid, the paper said.
Khashoggi was last seen entering the consulate on October 2 to obtain documents for his forthcoming marriage. His body has never been found.
After repeated denials, Saudi Arabia finally admitted the 59-year-old had been murdered at the mission in a "rogue" operation.
Yasin Aktay, an advisor to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, suggested last week the body may have been dissolved in acid.
And on Monday, a Turkish official said Saudi Arabia sent two experts to Istanbul with the specific aim of covering up evidence after the murder.
Khashoggi's Turkish fiancee Hatice Cengiz took to Twitter on Thursday writing, "I'm unable to express my sorrow to hear about dissolving your body Jamal!"
"They killed you and chopped up your body, depriving me and your family of conducting your funeral prayer and burying you in Madinah as wished."
A Turkish official this week confirmed a Sabah report that chemicals expert Ahmad Abdulaziz al-Janobi and toxicology expert Khaled Yahya al-Zahrani were among a team sent from Saudi amid investigations into the murder.
The paper said they visited the consulate every day from their arrival on October 11 until October 17. Saudi Arabia only allowed Turkish police to search the building on October 15.
Turkey has given recordings related to the killing of Jamal Khashoggi to Germany, France and Britain, President Erdogan said Saturday, seeking to maintain international pressure on Riyadh over the Saudi journalist's death.
His killing provoked global outrage but little concrete action by world powers against Saudi Arabia.
Speaking as he left Turkey to attend World War One commemorations in France alongside President Donald Trump and European leaders, Erdogan said for the first time that the three European Union states had heard the recordings.
"We gave the tapes. We gave them to Saudi Arabia, to the United States, Germans, French and British, all of them. They have listened to all the conversations in them. They know," Erdogan said.
Erdogan did not give details of the contents of the tapes but two sources with knowledge of the issue have told Reuters that Turkey has several audio recordings.
They include the killing itself and conversations pre-dating the operation which Turkey subsequently uncovered, the sources said. 
One source familiar with the recordings said that officials who heard them had been horrified by their contents. One of Prince Mohammed's top aides, Saud al-Qahtani, featured prominently in them throughout, sources said.
Last month two separate intelligence sources told Reuters Qahtani gave orders over Skype to Khashoggi's killers at the consulate. Saudi state media said King Salman sacked Qahtani and four other officials over the killing. There was no indication that any of the suspects were detained.
Erdogan repeated a demand for information on the whereabouts of Khashoggi's body. Vice President Fuat Oktay has called for an investigation into reports that it was dissolved in acid.
Saudi Arabia has said members of the team which was sent to Istanbul, and returned shortly after the killing, have been arrested along with three others.
Following a meeting on Saturday in Paris, Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron agreed that Saudi authorities needed to shed full light on Khashoggi's murder, a French presidency source said.
They also agreed that the matter should not be allowed to cause further destabilisation in the Middle East and that it could create an opportunity to find a political resolution to the war in Yemen, according to the official.

Last updated: November 10 2018 11:36 PM


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore