By Gustavo Palencia, Reuters San Pedro Sula, Honduras
More than 1,000 people, including families and women carrying babies, set off from Honduras towards the United States on Saturday, days after the United States urged Honduras’ president to halt mass migration. Recent attempts at group crossings from Central America to the United States have tested US President Donald Trump’s “zero tolerance” stance on illegal immigration, as people fleeing violence and poverty defy threats of deportation.
“I believe we’ll get to the United States. There’s no work in Honduras, and you live in fear that they’re going to kill you or your children,” said Fanny Barahona, 35, an unemployed teacher who walked with her nine-year-old son and carried a two-year-old daughter.
Some 1,300 people joined the so-called “March of the Migrant,” planning to walk from San Pedro Sula in northern Honduras through Guatemala and into Mexico, organiser Bartolo Fuentes said. Once in Mexico, they plan to request refugee status to remain in the country or a visa to pass through to the US border, he said.
In April, media attention on a similar group of migrants, dubbed a “caravan,” prompted Trump to press for tougher border security and demand such groups be refused entry. Most in the caravan said they were fleeing death threats, extortion and violence from powerful street gangs. More than 64% of Honduran households live in poverty, and San Pedro Sula has one of the world’s highest murder rates.
“There is no work and so much violence that you can get killed walking down the street,” said Javier Solis, 25, who said he has not found work in a year and wants to enter the United States. On a previous attempt, he was deported to Honduras upon reaching Mexico.
US Vice President Mike Pence met with the presidents of Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador in Washington last week and told them the United States would be willing to help with economic development and investment if they did more to tackle migration, corruption and gang violence.
Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez said US funding was declining, and he called on the United States to reunite migrant children with their parents after Washington’s policy of separating families trying to cross the US-Mexican border put Honduras under “huge pressure.”
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Democrats push for all Russia probe evidence
Thousands attend Garcia’s funeral
Biden to announce US presidential run on Wednesday -report
Man enters cathedral with full gas cans and lighters
Mueller Report details moves to impede inquiry
Dinosaur cemetery unearthed in Argentina
67 held at Nicaragua opposition protest rally
US Senate leader calls for raising minimum age to buy tobacco products to 21
Uber unveils safety measures after college student's murder