Saudi Arabia says it intercepts Houthi missile launched at Jizan
July 10 2018 05:48 PM
Badr 1 missile
The Houthi-run al-Masirah TV said earlier that a Badr 1 missile had targeted Jizan Economic City

Reuters /Riyadh

Saudi Arabia's air defence forces intercepted a missile launched towards the kingdom's southwestern Jizan region by Yemen's armed Houthi movement, state media said on Tuesday.

The Houthi-run al-Masirah TV said earlier that a Badr 1 missile had targeted Jizan Economic City, where Saudi Aramco is building a 400,000-barrel-per-day refinery that is expected to become fully operational in 2019.

There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.

The Iran-aligned Houthis, who control Yemen's capital Sanaa, have fired dozens of missiles into the kingdom in recent months, part of a three-year-old conflict widely seen as a proxy battle between regional rivals Saudi Arabia and Iran. Most of the missiles have been intercepted by the Saudi military.

A military coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Amirates intervened in Yemen's war in 2015 to unseat the Houthis and restore the internationally-recognised government in exile.

The Western-backed coalition has made no major gains in an offensive launched a month ago to wrest control of Yemen's Hodeidah port from the Houthis, leaving it without the decisive increase in leverage it had sought against the group in UN-sponsored peace efforts.

Last updated: July 10 2018 05:48 PM


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS