HE Mohamed bin Abdullah al-Rumaihi, Ashghal president Dr Saad bin Ahmad al-Muhannadi and other dignitaries and guests at the event.
The Public Works Authority (Ashghal) has provided details of the Lusail Expressway project. HE Mohamed bin Abdullah al-Rumaihi, Minister of Municipality and Environment, opened the project after completion of all the main works. One of the most prominent architectural monuments in Doha, the arches of Interchange 5/6, was also launched on the occasion.
* Main Road
• Starting Saturday evening, traffic has been moved to the main carriageway of Lusail Expressway along the entire road, from its start in West Bay until its end in Lusail City, which includes four lanes in each direction.
• The at-grade level on Omar Al Mokhtar Street has been opened to traffic in both directions, going through Interchange 5/6.
• The at-grade lanes turning left in both directions at Al Gassar Interchange will open, in addition to the at-grade traffic lights at The Pearl Interchange, next week.
• The Al Gassar Interchange bridge opened completely to traffic with a length of 600m and three lanes in each direction, which connects Onaiza Street and Katara - the Cultural Village area in both directions.
• Also on Saturday, all lanes of the North and South Canal crossings opened to traffic, with the North Canal Crossing including eight lanes in each direction and the South Canal Crossing six lanes in each direction.
• All four bridges included in the project have been completely opened to traffic, while the bridge at Interchange 5/6 was opened at the end of May.
• All lanes in both directions at The Pearl Interchange tunnel opened to traffic, connecting Lusail Expressway to Lusail City. The length of the tunnel is about 700m and includes four lanes in each direction.
• The tunnel at Interchange 5/6 also opened, with a length of 500m, connecting Al Istiqlal Street and Lusail Expressway, and includes three lanes in each direction.
• One of the Al Gassar Interchange tunnels has opened, connecting Lusail Expressway for those coming from West Bay heading left to Onazia Street, and the tunnel includes two lanes in one direction with a length of 600m.
• Eight tunnels are now open to traffic out of nine in the project, with the main tunnel at Al Gassar Interchange opening at the end of March 2017. Next week will witness the opening of the other tunnel at Al Gassar Interchange for those heading from Lusail City and The Pearl-Qatar on Lusail Expressway, left towards Katara.
* The unique architectural character of Lusail Expressway
• Lusail Expressway is an iconic architecture with characteristics inspired by the Qatari marine heritage vocabulary, and forms a combination of Qatar’s past and future, given that it is the main expressway on the seafront that stretches over the northern coast of Doha city. The blue wall panels that decorate the tunnels are inspired by the waves of fishermen’s nets under water. All other design elements were also chosen carefully, such as the lighting poles which will provide blue illumination.
* Lusail Expressway implementation journey
• The vast excavation and execution work for the multi-level tunnels and bridges on the project, as well as the construction of two marine bridges, was completely executed without interrupting traffic, Ashghal said. This was in addition to the excavation works that took place at a depth of 30m below ground surface along 6km, for integrated infrastructure to allow for electricity and drainage networks, allowing for maintenance works without the need for more excavations in the future, and building an underground metro tunnel that will go under the marine bridge.
* Over 75,000 tonnes of reinforced steel and over 345,000 tonness of asphalt were used on the project, with the participation of more than 4,000 workers.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Green transport to help Qatar host first carbon-neutral World Cup in 2022
FM apprises Cabinet of regional developments
Qatar Thursday reports 800 new Covid cases, 7deaths
Seven-day quarantine for non-infectious Covid cases
Covid-19 test must for all Qatar-bound travellers from Sunday
One held for violating home quarantine pledge
Safe shopping tips from MoCI
Al-Khelaifi replaces Agnelli as European clubs' chief
301 face prosecution for violation of norms