Saudi Arabia on Saturday intercepted and destroyed a "ballistic missile" northeast of the capital Riyadh after it was launched from Yemen, state media reported.
"Saudi air defence intercepts ballistic missile northeast of Riyadh," Saudi state TV said.
State-run news channel Al-Ekhbariya said the missile "was of limited size (and) no injuries or damage" were reported.
The missile was destroyed near Riyadh's King Khaled International Airport, which was functioning normally, it added. Earlier reports said there was an explosion at the airport. Several flights were shown to be delayed on the digital board displaying the arrival and departure of flights at the airport.
Yemen's Houthi rebels claimed they had fired the long-range missile, targeting the King Khaled airport, the Houthis' Al-Masirah television said.
The missile has covered a minimum distance of 1,000km to reach the Saudi capital and posed a threat to the busy airport, analysts said.
Ali al-Qahum, an official in the Houthi politbureau, said the missile was in retaliation for what he called "daily massacres" in Yemen by the Saudi-led bloc.
"We have the right to respond and bombard with missiles those perpetrating daily massacres against our people, the latest being the massacre in a market."
Al-Qahum was referring to airstrikes earlier this week on a hotel and a market area in Yemen's northern province of Saada, which left 29 civilians dead.
The Saudi-led alliance said the strikes unleashed on Wednesday had hit a "legitimate military target" of rebels in the area.
Saudi Arabia's southern neighbour Yemen has been torn apart by a war between the Saudi-backed government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi and Houthi rebels. A Saudi-led coalition intervened in 2015 to prop up Hadi's government after the Houthis seized the capital Sanaa.
The rebels continue to hold much of the country.
United Nations-backed talks have failed to broker a political settlement to end the fighting, which has left more than 8,600 people dead since the coalition intervened.
A cholera outbreak has claimed more than 2,100 lives in Yemen since April as hospitals struggle to secure supplies amid a coalition air and sea blockade.
The United Nations has warned Yemen now stands on the brink of famine.
Yemen, one of the Arab world's poorest countries, has been locked in
a devastating power struggle since late 2014.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
QRCS helps 22 countries tackle Covid-19 crisis
Oman Air to return to scheduled service on October 1
'28 dead' as IS, govt forces clash in Syria's Raqa
Aoun warns Lebanon faces crisis unless govt agreed
Lebanon hosts concert for Beirut blast victims
Russian jets strike Syrian rebel-held bastion in heaviest strikes since ceasefire
Iran says US faces 'maximum isolation' as world powers dismiss sanctions
Iran virus deaths top 24,000
Rare US honour bestowed on Kuwaiti Amir