There is an emerging consensus among Opec and non-Opec countries who took part in a global pact to cut crude output on the need to extend the agreement beyond June to help clear a supply glut, Saudi Arabia's Opec governor said on Friday.
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, Russia and other producers have agreed to curb production by 1.8 million barrels per day (bpd) until June 30.
"There's an emerging consensus among participating countries on the need to extend the production agreement reached last year" Adeeb Al-Aama told Reuters.
"Based on today's data, there's a growing conviction that a six-month extension may be needed to rebalance the market, but the length of the extension is not firm yet," he said.
A formal decision will be taken when the Opec ministers meet on May 25.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
China signs huge LNG deals with US supplier Venture Global
Port gridlock stretches supply lines thin in blow for global economies
Crisis-hit Lebanon hikes fuel prices in de facto end to subsidies
Energy crisis seen wake-up call for more investment
Asian bourses mostly rise on more earnings joy as Fed mulls taper
QNB organises 'Strategic Planning Workshop' for senior executives
UDC reports net profit of QR207mn on revenues of QR1.6bn
QICDRC expanded jurisdiction to include Qatar Free Zones comes into effect
Qatar Chamber joins GCC consultative meeting in Bahrain