A US-backed force fighting to drive Islamic State out of Manbij said on Thursday it was giving the jihadist group 48 hours to pull out of the surrounded northern Syrian city.
A statement from the Manbij Military Council said the Islamic State militants would be allowed to leave the city with light weapons, without a fight.
It said their departure must take place within 48 hours and "this initiative is the only and the final one for the besieged Daesh elements to leave the city," using an Arabic acronym for the jihadist group.
The council is allied to the US-backed Kurdish and Arab alliance known as the Syria Democratic Forces (SDF), which has been fighting Islamic State in northern Syria with the support of air strikes from a US-led coalition.
The SDF fighters, who quickly took control of the territory surrounding Manbij last month, have in recent weeks taken western parts of the city in slower advances.
Activists say dozens of civilians have been killed this week in air strikes in the city and to the north, and the opposition Syrian National Coalition called for a suspension of the air strikes while the incidents are investigated.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Rocket hits cleric’s home following Baghdad attack
Air strikes kill at least 20 in Syria's Idlib
Death toll in shooting attack on Baghdad protesters rises to 16
Troops briefly detain four Palestinian journos
Top Iraq cleric says no role in talks on new PM as protests persist
Lebanon to convene talks on new PM on Monday
After 20 years, Palestinian mother and son reunited
Car bomb kills two in northeastern Syria
Iraq parties, allies debate new PM as violence hits southern cities